Chapter 78: Remember Her Name

Start from the beginning

The first five ruptured a small tear in the shield, which another five zoomed through before it could close up. Kashi followed suit, the shield unable to keep living things from entering.

"[Dren]!" Automated arcs shot down four arrows, the staff their source. Jade winced and backpedaled as the last grazed her left arm. "[Self Charge]."

Kashi blocked the next automated stream with his bow, wincing as it shattered. He ducked right then accelerated, bypassing two more streams. He grinned up at Jade as he entered her space. He delivered a swift punch!

BZZT!

Kashi's eyes widened. His fist stopped a millimeter short of contact, held in place by a thin but substantially charged force.

Jade's grin was pure evil. "Got you now!" She gripped his hand before he could retreat. "[Enhanced Shock]!"

Kashi screamed as his body was assaulted by steady electric streams. His veins burned, his eyes felt like they'd explode from the immense pain.

Jade's sinister grin maintained despite the overt nature of the pain she was causing to a supposed friend. "Give up."

Kashi gritted his teeth as he too grabbed onto her hands and held her there. "No..."

"Sure about that?"

Kashi suppressed a yell as he was assaulted with double the voltage. His hair stood on end, blood seeping from its roots, as from his nostrils. Despite this, he managed a triumphant smirk. "This is my win."

"Wha—" B.A.M.! Jade screamed as a pair of arrows crashed into her back with a force that sent her flying over Kashi. The shock broke off her attack, and Kashi swiftly slammed her onto the ground face first.

Kashi straddled her back and locked both arms behind her. He bent low and whispered with a triumphant smirk, "Give up?"

Jade growled, but ultimately her shoulders slumped. "Fine, I give up. Now get off me."

Kashi did as asked, pulling out the arrows as he did so. "You okay?"

Jade dusted herself as she got to her feet. "You slammed me face-first into the ground and shot two arrows into my back. What do you think?" Her words, though cynical, were delivered with the brightest smile. "How'd you even do that?"

"Do what?" Kashi asked as he picked up her staff. He carefully examined the weapon.

"Shoot those arrows. Didn't see you do that."

"Ah," Kashi mumbled. He cast her a familiar smirk. "Don't want to tell. Would spoil the fun."

Jade pouted, not liking her own words and mannerisms thrown back in her face. "Fine, fine, I lost, so guess I can't complain." She walked over and grabbed his arm.

"What're—" Kashi stopped, stunned by the rapid rate at which his injuries healed. His H.P. maxed within seconds, and he was left staring. "You're a healer?"

"Not necessarily," Jade corrected as she released his arm. "My class is Mage of Restoration. I call it Restorer, though"

"Restorer? What's that?" Syèl cut in their middle, causing Jade to jump. "Kash, you know her?"

Kashi nodded. "That's Jade."

Syèl eyed the mage.

"Hello, Syèl," Jade greeted.

"Seriously? You're Jade!?" Jade exclaimed, voice rising with laughter. "You look nothing like your real self!"

Jade shook her head. "I'd say it's you two who look too much like their real selves. Did you guys even bother with the Character Creator menu?"