41

The next morning Hana woke up early and headed downstairs for some breakfast. To her surprise, Hyun was sitting at the breakfast bar staring at his coffee mug.

"Morning," Hana said, "Did you sleep well?"

"No," He sighed, "I guess being here makes me on edge. Jin wouldn't let me talk to him after dinner and I can't sleep without Jae next to me,"

"You could always get him to stay with you?" She said, and her dogs trotted into the kitchen and rushed over to her for attention, "I'm sure he would prefer being here with you and no one will say anything about it. We are working together to bring down Namjoon's brother,"

"I'm not sure he would feel comfortable staying here with Jin around,"

"Can I ask why?"

Hyun ran his hand through his hair and shook his head, "If you didn't already know, Jae and Jin hooked up a few times. I had no idea what went on because Jae and I didn't know each other all those years ago. Of course, Jin knew he was a police officer at the time and was older by a few years but he didn't care. Jae went off the grid because he went undercover and Jin came to me. He wanted to talk about how he felt about this man and that he believed he didn't feel the same way about him,"

Hana sat down beside him and her dogs sat there watching her with their tails wagging.

"I guess Jin gave up because he never spoke about him again. I always thought he had found someone else to hook up with," Hyun smiled sadly, "It was about 3 months after and I met Jae. It was a party with cops and associates, and when I walked into the hall, he was the first person I saw. I had never seen someone so handsome standing there before. Jae looked almost edible in his suit and the way he smiled just brought butterflies to my stomach,"

Hyun sighed and put his hands around his coffee mug.

"Jae and I got to know each other more. I told him I had a younger brother and he told me about his family," Hyun shrugged, "A few months later we were serious and got engaged. It was a fast engagement and I don't regret it at all but then I invited Jin round for dinner to meet my fiance and that was when I realised that Jae was the man my brother had been talking about. I asked so many questions and Jae told me that he had no idea that we were brothers. He kept saying how sorry he was and that Jin was only someone to have sex with. Jae also said that he told him that when they first hooked up. I felt bad for my brother and Jae. Jae never expected for Jin to fall in love with him and never expected me to fall for him either,"

"That's complicated,"

"Tell me about it," Hyun rolled his eyes, "Jin and I have always had a rocky relationship. Our father was a drunk who liked to hit us around, including our mum. Even then he would smile and get on with the day. When he met Namjoon as a teen, things started to go downhill. He stayed out late or didn't come back for days. He constantly argued with our mum. Dad wasn't having any of it and when Jin came back one night, drunk, dad punched him,"

"Oh wow,"

"Jin snapped. I had never seen Jin so angry before and mum was screaming at them both to stop fighting. No one was listening," Hyun closed his eyes, "As I went to stop Jin from killing him, mum ran forward and pushed dad away, screaming at him. She said that enough was enough and she wasn't going to let anyone hurt her boys again,"

"You don't have to-"

"No. I need to get it off my chest. Jae knows everything but that is it. I've kept it a secret for so long," Hyun let out a shaky breath, "Jin was so angry. He ran to the kitchen as dad punched mum and he came back with a knife. He stabbed dad in the shoulder and moved mum away before she could take another beating," He paused and a tear ran down his face, "Dad was high on drugs and was drunk, so he didn't feel much of the stab. He yanked it out and went to stab Jin but-"

"Mum pushed me out of the way and dad killed her instead," Jin said making them both jump. He walked into the kitchen and sat opposite them, "I was the reason why mum was killed,"

"You aren't to blame for what our dad did,"

"Hyun, I was the one to start on dad. I was the one to bring a knife into a fistfight. I was the one who got her killed,"

"I'll leave you to it," Hana said quietly, "I don't want to intrude,"

"It's fine," Jin sighed, "I should apologise to you as well for speaking to you like that. None of this is your fault and you were concerned for my brother. Hyun, I know mum never blamed me for what happened but I still carry that guilt around,"

"I do as well," Hyun said, "I never tried to stop him,"

"He would have killed you too," Jin ran his hand through his hair.

"I'm sorry. For everything," Hyun said, "If I had known who Jae was before-"

"Shut up," Jin laughed slightly, "You can't help who you fall in love with. Jae and I were too different. I knew from the moment I saw the two of you together, that you were meant to be. It was something I've dealt with but I don't hate you for it,"

"I still-"

"Hyun, if you don't stop talking I will punch you in the face," Jin said, "If you are meant to be then things will always work out for you. Jae and I were nothing more than hookups. Right now, I want to focus on myself and getting rid of Yugyeom. No one apart from me fucks around with my family,"

"Can I ask you something?" Hana said and the brothers looked at her, "Wow. Ok. That was creepy. Do you have any idea how similar you are?"

"Yes," They said in unison.

"Wow. Ok," She said, "Right. I have to focus. Can I ask what happened to your dad?"

Hyun sighed, "To be honest with you, I have no idea. After he killed mum, he ran and we never saw him again. I should probably call Jae. Um, I will speak to you later, Jin,"

Hana waited for Hyun to go back upstairs before she turned to speak to Jin, "Bottom of the ocean?"

"In pieces,"