Chapter 10: Emergency

We rushed JJ to the hospital. I didn't want to tell the doctors what happened, because they would have thought we let it happen. I kept JJ safe and the minute I get careless with Jeff, JJ gets hurt.

But at the same time, I never blamed Jeff. He didn't push my son off the bed. I felt like it was all my fault, because I fell asleep.

I was sitting in the waiting room, waiting for results. I was hoping JJ was okay and not being questioned. I was so scared he would be taken from us and we'd be arrested.

Jeff was calmer than I was. "Ryah, JJ will be fine. Please calm down."

I was fidgeting in the seat. "I can't Jeff. JJ could be taken from us today."

"What if he isn't and the next thing happens? You can't be afraid for JJ forever sweetie." He kissed the top of my head.

I sighed. "I hate it when you're right."

"I know."

The doctor came out and looked at the two of us. "JJ Hemmons?"

"That's us. How is he?" I asked.

"He's fine. We covered up the gash. Luckily, it wasn't bleeding. He just needs to rest for a few days and he should be fine. Can either one tell me what happened?"

"I can," Jeff said as he stood. I tried to pull him back down but he wouldn't budge. "It's my fault. I came in and tried to talk to Ryah about our relationship. We fell asleep and Ryah was the one that found him. We didn't let it happen. We swear."

"I know, these things happen all the time. Trust me. We trust the parents to do the right thing." He patted Jeff's shoulder.

"Can we see him?" I asked.

"Actually, he can go home. You two did the right thing."

"Thank you." I shook the doctors hand and went back to get JJ.