26 - Alice's Pet, and the Return of an Old Friend

Allison's POV

Alice was very happy when she got back. She told us about Lillian as she made dinner, then after we ate she woke Helen to feed her, then ended up changing her before we all went to bed.

The next day, Alice decided it was time for us to continue on. She informed us that our next destination was the Lost Harbor, and to get there we'd have to use barges to cross the Ink River. However, Tom had an issue with this.

"I'm telling you, this is a bad idea."

Alice sighed. "What's your problem with it Tom?"

"The giant hand of course. Boris and I rarely use the barges because of that damn thing."

Helen's eyes widened. "There's a giant hand living in the river?"

"Yes, and it's dangerous." Tom replied. "It's tried to kill us multiple times."

Alice however, burst out laughing.

My husband glared at her. "What's so funny?"

"You've been misinterpreting my pet's intentions."

"That thing is your pet?!"

"Yes, she is. Her name is Bella, and she's a... unique case. Trust me, she's completely harmless."

"Harmless?! You call attacking our barge harmless?!"

Alice made a dismissive wave. "Bella was only playing, you were never in any sort of danger."

"What can you tell us about her Mother?" Susan asked.

"Well, the first thing I can tell you is she isn't a giant hand."

"Wait. She isn't?!" Tom exclaimed.

"Of course not," she casually replied. "Bella is shy when it comes to revealing her entire form. Also, she wasn't created by the Ink Machine. Instead, she was born from the place I moved into, the Giant Ink Machine."

"That's impossible," Tom argued, "it's nozzle doesn't work like that."

"I know that Tom, but it is the source of the river." Alice replied. "Which makes her all the more fascinating. Bella also has her own soul. Up until I got one, she was the only example of that phenomenon. She lives in the river, and protects the Giant Ink Machine from intruders." She sighed. "I just hope nothing bad happens to her when the Ink Demon tries to enter it."

"I'm sure she'll be fine Mama." Helen suddenly said. "When can I meet her?"

"After breakfast my baby, I promise."

***

Helen's POV

Breakfast seemed to take forever. Mama and I decided to try out a new routine for meals where I nursed while she ate. I still don't know why the others are calling Mama's milk 'silver ink'. It doesn't make any sense to me. It's milk, not ink. So why do they seem to think otherwise? It is very confusing.

When breakfast was finally done, we left the safehouse. We were heading to the barge port by going through a stone corridor. A few Searchers showed up, but Mama scared them away. When we got to the port, Mama summoned her scepter, then focused on it, making it glow brighter.

"Bella!" Mama called. "Where are you sweetie? Come to mama!" I noticed Mama said it in a similar way to someone calling their dog. It was quiet for a minute then a gigantic form came out of the river.

Bella's form was liquidy, as if she was made of the river. She had a barge in her hand, and it looked like a mere toy as she held it. Her arms were slim, her torso was slender, and her hands were dainty with lithe fingers... I think. She had a heart shaped face, long hair that flowed down into the river, and solid gold eyes.