Chapter Five

I couldn't believe what I had just heard

I couldn't believe what I had just heard. No way did he try and use a line on me like that!

My mouth hung open in disbelief as Dorian's eyes gleamed with a hint of mischief. He had got to be kidding!

"Wow!" I said with a scoff and a blink. "Do girls actually fall for that?"

"You'd be surprised," He said with a laugh.

"I would have said no anyway," I replied instantly.

"No?" He said with a questioning tone. I could hear the hint of hurt in his voice as my heart started to beat hard against my chest.

"Yeah.."

"So, is that a yes?" He teased.

I scoffed and shook my head. Looking up at him, I felt slightly calmer. Considering we were still stuck in the lift I didn't have anywhere urgent to be. But for Dorian Bradley, he probably had millions of meetings and business plans to sort through. Thank god I didn't have a desk job.

"I shouldn't have said that," He said with a groan.

"Nope," I said in agreement.

Silence filled the room again as the both of us waited for something or someone. The lights kept flickering every so often. My breathing started to quicken as the thought of the lift suddenly falling started to fill my mind. No, it's just a worst-case scenario.

"You alright?" Dorian asked, his voice laced with concern.

"Yeah," I sighed. "Just trying not to panic."

"It'll get sorted, don't worry. Trust me they are running around and losing their minds."

"Is this normal?" I asked through a breath.

"What is?"

"The lift getting stuck."

"No. It's not." He said truthfully. "Good thing I followed behind you otherwise you would have been by yourself."

As much as I wanted to hate it, he was right. If he hadn't had followed me I would be stuck here for god knows how long and by myself. At least there were people doing something about it. At least I had company as well. But, I didn't want Dorian knowing that.

"You followed me so you could ask me out." I retorted.

He shook his head with an obvious smirk.

"So, is that a definite no?"

I nodded in reply. "I want to keep this professional. And with you being surrounded by the media, it would be crazy and interpreted in the wrong way."

"Okay." He said in acceptance.

And just like that the light stopped flickering and turned back on. The lift started to move and the both of us looked at each other. His eyes were the colour of a clear summer sky. Something that people looked forward to. Something that made people's hearts fill with unknown joy.

As Dorian got up, I realised I was still sat down on the floor. His hand reached out to offer me help. Hesitant at first, I then placed my hand in his and got up from the floor.

"Thank you," I uttered quietly.

"Don't worry about it."

The lift doors opened showing the both of us we were on the ground floor. A couple of people from maintenance stood in front of us. They were dressed in dark khaki green overalls and they badges were clipped on the breast pocket

"Mr Bradley," One of the maintenance men was ready to apologise.

"Make sure this doesn't happen again." Dorian interrupted. He spoke harshly in a low-pitched manner so no one else could hear. "I want a check on all the elevators and everything to run like clockwork."

Responding with a 'yes sir' they all moved and went ahead with the task they were given. The both of us looked at each other one last time. I took in a deep breath as those piercing blue eyes peered onto me.

"I've got to get going," He said in a whisper, only for the two of us to hear; nobody else. Opening my clutch, I took out one of my pastel blue business cards.

"Here's my card if you need anything."

Taking it from my fingertips, Dorian nodded and opened his mouth as if to say something. Instead, his mind put it to a stop.

"Thank you again, Alena."

Leaving him behind, I went back through the route I had walked earlier. I gave the receptionist a wave goodbye and left the skyscraper. Walking onto the cobbled path, I could see the driver and its limo waiting for me.

"Thank you so much but you don't need to take me home. I can take the subway."

"Are you sure?" He asked with concern. He readjusted his jacket still getting ready to go somewhere. "Mr Bradley did want me to drop you off. It doesn't have to be back at the gallery. It can be anywhere you'd like."

I looked up at the building and thought of any other place to go or to be. This was New York city. This was the Big Apple. The city of Broadway dreams. The place that never slept. My mind thought of all the places I could go to and see. The places I hadn't been in quite a while. As if a lightbulb had switched on, I thought of the one place I wanted to visit. The one place where I could catch up with a friend.

"Is it alright if you can you take me to 'The Lounge'?"

"The jazz club?" The Driver asked with a confused smile. "Is it even open?" As he opened the passenger side door, I reassured him it was.

"I know the owner," I said with a mischievous smile.

The limo driver nodded and closed the door behind me as I made myself comfortable. As we started to enter onto the roads, I reached for my phone and called the one person I would tell everything to.

"Hey Beth, can you meet me at 'The Lounge'?"