Chapter Twenty-Seven

Catherine Augustus was one of the leading Wedding Planners in New York

Catherine Augustus was one of the leading Wedding Planners in New York. Not to mention a friend to the Bradley family. Beth and I followed behind her as tottered through the venue in her black Christian Louboutin stilettos. Although she had been working in the wedding industry for over three decades, she had no plans to go into early retirement.

The whole place had been booked out just for us. Rooms were booked for guests that were staying over. The golf course was being taken care of and could be seen from the upper garden. There were secluded garden spaces for any privacy before the ceremony. Catherine also warned us it may be a hook up spot for any drunk guests.

"So, to go with the colour scheme, we will have white and pink roses in a gold vase as a centrepiece on the table. We have the flower wall as a background behind the head table. The suits are ready for the groom and the best man. Unfortunately, Antonio can't make it-life of a Hollywood actor! The maid of honour's dress is ready and the bride's dress is finally ready. The cake is going to be delivered on the day and set up while the ceremony is happening... Is there anything else I'm missing?" She asked, turning around to us. Her tight bun was still intact and the string of pearls around her neck didn't look as if they had budged at all.

Beth and I looked at each other before saying no to Catherine.

"Good!" she said with a gleaming smile. "I think we are sorted!"

Beth thanked Catherine for everything she had done in a short amount of time. She was honestly a hero to all of us. I looked around the venue and admired the bare brick walls. I could already imagine the fairy lights and rose petals hanging from the ceiling and white tables filled with the floral centrepieces.

"You okay, Als?"

I turned to Beth and automatically nodded in reply. I was okay. I didn't want to tell her. The last week I had been having nightmares. Every time I woke up, my body would be in a cold sweat. And when I had fallen asleep, I only got a couple of hours.

"So, my aunt and cousins will come over a couple of days before the wedding. Jacob's side is coming that day as well, so they'll be staying here..."

As Beth carried on talking about the guests who were invited, my mind wondered back to two years ago. Meeting Daniel. The sneaky touches. The kisses. The rush of it all. Many people would've argued it was too fast, and that it was love; it was lust.

Dangerous lust.

The type of dangerous lust that had me falling in love with him so quickly.

"Daniel's anniversary is coming up." I mumbled.

Beth turned to me; her face dropped in realisation. Her eyes filled with the same apologetic look she had two years ago.

"Alena," she whispered.

I cleared my throat and fiddled with the cutlery on the table. I did not know what to say next.

"You haven't been to see him since you got here, have you?"