Chapter Thirty-Seven

Alena's POV

Alena's POV

The green, summer leaves fluttered in the wind as a tint of brown kissed the edges. Autumn was making its entry for the year as summer was saying farewell. I sat at the studio table, looking at the cream-coloured invitation in my hands. For the last few weeks, I had been ignoring it, hoping that I would forget about it. But, I didn't.

I hadn't seen or heard from Dorian in so long. I wanted to call him and hear his voice. I wanted him to be at the doorstep and take me in his arms.

Charlie was right, I could never fully start over again. But I could start over in a way that would let me be true to myself. And I did that for the last two years.

I opened the envelope to see the card and RSVP slip. Both were adorned with gold leaf prints and foiled lettering. All this for the annual end-of-summer ball at the Bradley Enterprise. New York's most publicised event.

Beth came into the studio with a mug in each hand. Since her honeymoon the both of us hadn't had a single moment to catch up. It seemed she and Jacob were enjoying their newlywed bliss.

"Here you go babes," She said, placing the teal pastel mug before me.

"Thanks," I said before taking a sip as Beth grabbed a chair.

"How are you feeling?"

I looked at her not knowing how to respond.

"I'm sorry Als."

"It's not your fault."

"Can I ask you something?"

I nodded.

"Do you know who sent the note?"

I shook my head.

"Can I have a look at it?"

I went over to the small sketchbook I had taken with me to London. Flipping it open, I took the note that was given to me the night before the wedding. I still had no idea who sent it. Part of me thought it didn't matter.

I handed it over to Beth. As she read the words, I heard her take a sharp breath.

"Beth."

She blinked at me in disbelief, opening her mouth as if she wanted to say something.

"They had no right." She whispered harshly.

"It doesn't matter now." I sighed.

"Seriously, whoever did this needs a slap."

"Beth..."

"How could someone do that? What the hell do they gain?" She went on. She couldn't look up at me. All she could do was look at the note in her hands.

Snatching it from her hands, I placed the piece of paper back in my notebook and slammed it shut. With silence now filling the room, I took a sip of tea and looked back at the invitation and RSVP card.