Chapter Nine

I never realised how long it had been since I had a moment like this

I never realised how long it had been since I had a moment like this. My fingers fought with the buttons on Dorian's shirt, trying to get it undone. I could feel the warmth of his body radiating off of him. Our jackets were on the floor, as well as my bag. His hands grabbed hold of my waist, pulling me closer and closer towards him. I hitched the hem of my dress up to my waist. I broke away from the kiss with a moan, feeling Dorian's lips creep down to my neck. Small kisses, pitter-pattering down. It felt good; it felt heavenly. It felt peaceful. Something I rarely felt.

But like all peaceful things, it had to end. For us, it was shattered by the ringing of both our phones.

"Dorian," I breathed out.

"Not yet," He whispered against my skin. "Just another minute."

The ringing continued. "Dorian."

"Ignore it," He mumbled harshly against my skin.

The ringing seemed to get louder and louder. Why at this time?

"Trust me, I want to ignore it, but we both know we can't," I said, pulling away from him. Sighing heavily, Dorian couldn't help but roll his eyes as he grabbed his jacket and my bag. As soon as he has handed over my bag, I immediately started fishing for my phone. The ringing had stopped once I had it in my hand. There on the screen was a missed call with Beth's caller ID. I looked up at Dorian, who was already on the phone to whoever it was. I pointed to the gallery and watched him mouth a 'thank you' before he walked away so neither of us could be disturbed. I looked down at my phone again, deciding whether to call her back. My choice was made up for me as her caller ID illuminated the screen again.

"Hey," I breathlessly greeted.

"Alena!" Beth screamed down the phone. "Guess what?!"

Before I had the chance to answer, my blonde best friend was screaming with excitement again.

"I'm getting married!"

A huge smile lit up on my face, as I couldn't imagine how happy she felt. I couldn't even imagine how nervous Jacob had been through the whole thing. For a guy that had a jazz club and loved to entertain people, he would become really nervous when doing something huge for the people he cared about.

"Beth!" I exclaimed; tears of joy ready to fall. "That's amazing!"

"I honestly can't believe it, Als..." she whispered in disbelief. "He proposed. Like... I knew I wanted him to, but I honestly didn't expect it. Even after everything that had happened."

Even after everything that had happened. I knew exactly what she meant. We all did. We never really spoke of it between the two of us. I knew the pain Jacob had felt. I knew what it was like. The hurt, the pain and never knowing if there was something afterwards. But somehow he had got through it and move on. He found love again.

"So, how did he propose?" I asked.

"Well, I got back from my morning run and outside our apartment, there was this gift bag on the doorstep. You wouldn't believe what was in there!"