Chapter One

Blank canvases and empty ideas was something that didn't often happen to me

Blank canvases and empty ideas was something that didn't often happen to me. Inspiration was something that was instant or noted down immediately. But scouring through my notebook and going through every idea, moment or thought wasn't going to help me either. I dropped my paintbrush on the ground and sighed heavily.

How was I supposed to focus when nothing was coming to me?

Walking out of the back room studio and into the gallery, I looked at all the paintings and sculptures that I had collected from auctions and up-and-coming artists. It seemed like inspiration had hit them where the sun didn't shine. Each piece was unique, beautiful in their own way and created with passion.

Throughout the last 2 years I was able to produce everything and anything I had wanted. How come I couldn't think of anything now? Why wasn't anything coming to me when I needed it the most?

Deciding it was pointless for me to sit around in the same space, I took my phone out of my pocket and called the one person I could rely on.

"Hey Beth, It's me. Remember that party you mentioned?"

"Alena! That guy was going to take me home!"

"No he wasn't," I said, dragging my best friend along to my parked car. The sound of the heavy bass and the loud music drowned behind us. The New York nightlife was definitely something. "I don't trust douchebags like that. And you have a boyfriend, remember?"

"Oh Jacob!" She gasped and smiled. "I can't wait to see him when I get home."

I couldn't help but smile at Beth and how infatuated she was about her boyfriend whilst she was drunk. Opening the passenger side door for her, she climbed in before exclaiming really loudly.

"I! Beth Amelia Johnson! Will find my best friend..." She suddenly went quiet and whispered in my ear. "That's you by the way."

I nodded at her whilst putting on her seatbelt. Although she was perfectly competent when she was sober, her hand eye co-ordination went down the drain if she had a drink... or twelve.

"I will find you a guy that treats you well and is really good looking and isn't a complete douche." I rolled my eyes at her statement.

"Okay," I replied. "I'm going to drive you home now Beth."