Chapter Forty

Alena's POV

Alena's POV

Running.

I had done it all my life. It seemed to be the only thing that was on my mind.

As soon as Dorian's speech was over. I turned to the doors I had entered not too long ago. Making my way through all the elegantly dressed guests that were mingling, drinking and laughing, I walked through the heavy mahogany wooden doors and down the hall to the elevator.

Like a hummingbird trapped in a small cage, my heart thumped against my chest. Pressing the elevator button, I could feel my legs shaking, wanting it to come quicker. I couldn't face him. I didn't know if I could.

As soon as the doors opened, I walked into the space. I pressed the button for the ground floor and waited for the doors to close. Instead of hearing the doors close, I heard footsteps against the tiled floor. Someone was running.

There, dressed in a designer suit with his thick luscious locks styled perfectly, was Dorian standing in front of me. Looking at me. His eyes didn't want to leave me or lose me. As the doors started to close, Dorian pushed it with his hands stopping it from shutting. Slowly he walked towards me, joining me in the small space.

My back hit the mirrored wall as he continued staring at me.

"You came." He uttered.

I nodded in reply.

"You're here."

I nodded again trying to fight the tears.

"Come here," He coaxed in that hushed voice. As his arms wrapped around me, I took in his cologne and the hint of whiskey. I closed my eyes, holding onto him as if my life depended on it.

I could feel his lips kiss my forehead. It felt like forever, as if we were frozen in time. Then they pressed onto the side of my temple, and then my cheek and then my other cheek. One kiss after another. It was all real.

"Hi," Dorian whispered, his lips hovering over mine as his fingers curled around the back of my neck.

"Hi," I whispered, grabbing onto the cold, metal railing behind me.

Opening my eyes to him, I still couldn't believe he was standing there in front of me. Neither of us was saying anything. The silence tortured me as I could feel us go down every floor.

"Can I ask you something?" I finally broke the silence.

"You can ask me anything. You could ask me a million things."

My heart fluttered.

"You could ask me any question in the world. I..." He let out a ragged breath, unable to find the words he wanted to say. Moments ago, he was the Billionaire CEO who eloquently and graciously thanked and accepted his new position. Now, he was someone finding his words. "I don't ever want a day to go by where you don't ask me anything or say anything to me. I have missed you. I have missed you so goddamn much."