Chapter Fifteen

"Why didn't you tell me you guys were an item?" Jacob asked Dorian as we sat down at the table

"Because they're not supposed to be going out!" Beth chimed with a smile as she sat beside her fiancé.

"Wait, is he the hotshot rich guy?" Jacob pointed with a smirk.

"You called me a hotshot rich guy?" Dorian turned to me with a surprised look.

"What-" I exclaimed in defence, taking my seat beside Dorian.

"Oh no, I did," Beth said with a mischievous smile. "That's my nickname for you. Alena doesn't really care about you being rich. However, I have a question for you."

"Go ahead," Dorian spoke.

"How come we haven't seen you or met you since we moved here?" Beth's question had us all wondering the same thing.

Dorian shrugged his shoulders. "I know for a fact I have been busy."

"Busy?" She repeated, not impressed.

"Beth..." I gently called. I knew once she started with an interrogation, there was no stopping her.

"Doing what?" She pressed on.

"I'm going to be honest with you, Beth. My dad has been quite ill the last couple of years." My heart dropped at his statement. "Even though he has so many employees who are very well managed, and everything is under control with all the department heads... I have been the one covering for him. I've been running the company and have been acting as interim CEO. Does that answer your question?"

I looked at Dorian with sorrow. He hadn't mentioned his father was ill when we had that first meeting. All I could remember was how he said it was his turn; that he would be the youngest CEO.

"I'm so sorry." Beth quickly apologised.

"It's okay," Dorian forgave her. "I get why you asked, and to be honest, I am surprised I didn't meet either of you during that time."

"Well, in your defence, dude, you have been busy!" Jacob said with a reassuring smile. "Maybe this wedding is a vacation for you!"

Dorian placed his hand over his heart. "Aww, you're too kind for treating me."

I couldn't help but smile at his little joke. His eyes turned to me and a small smile returned to his clean-shaven face. Those sky-blue eyes made my heart skip a bit every time. It was a feeling I never wanted to forget.

"You guys have got that whole 'he's so cute and she's so cute' look down," Jacob remarked.

"Yeah..." Beth sighed, taking a menu from the waiter. "It's sickening."

I rolled my eyes before taking hold of the menu that was being handed to me. As I uttered a thank you to the waiter, I looked down at the leather-bound cover and the golden printed lettering. My fingers traced the name of the restaurant and the man I once knew.