Chapter Thirty-Eight

Dorian's POV

Dorian's POV

I sat on the leather office chair, taking another look at the guest list I had requested. The updated version of the list and the one I had given to me this morning; both looked the same. There was no response from Alena and no information on whether she was coming to the ball.

The RSVP hadn't even been returned. Every time I thought of her my heart dropped a little. All I could think of was what I had lost. Those laughs that we had at each other's apartment, the picnic in her gallery and the smiles we had shared were now memories.

The office phone started to ring. Picking it up, I heard Rachel say someone was waiting for me.

"Can they wait five minutes?" I requested, pinching the bridge of my nose.

The door opened wide, revealing the woman who had brought me into this world.

"I'm not waiting for anyone Dorian." She walked in with her black coat in her arms and her maroon gloves in her hand. Even though it was October, Momma would always wear gloves as soon as the weather turned cold.

I sighed as Mom took a seat on the other side of the desk.

"Do you want a coffee or anything to drink?" I offered, watching her get up and walk around the sofas.

"No, sweetheart," she said, her hand gliding along the back of the couch. "I'm not planning to stay for long."

I replied with an 'oh' and turned back to the laptop screen and sheets of paper on my desk. No matter how many times I looked over the guest list, it still said the same thing written there. Taking the sheets of paper, I crumpled them up and threw them into the wastepaper basket. I let out a deep sigh before turning back to the emails on my laptop.

"So do you want to tell me how you messed up or do I have to get a private investigator on you?"

Looking up at Mom, I noticed her eyebrows were raised and her eyes were tired and concerned with what was bothering me. Her emerald eyes looked over the office one last time before she came back to the chair opposite my desk.

"Would you get a private investigator?" I asked, half-jokingly.

"You have no idea," She sighed, playing with her wedding rings. The cushion-cut diamond reflected the colours of the rainbow all over the office ceiling. When the both of them decided to renew their vows, Dad wanted to buy a new ring for Mom. It was up to her what she wanted, but being the simple and sophisticated woman she was, Mom decide to keep the one she had from the beginning. She didn't want anything added or something new. She wanted the same ring from the beginning.

"Her name is Alena," I began slowly.

"Beautiful name," Mom replied quietly.

"She honestly is..." I tapped the end of my pan against the glass desk. "She's smart. Ambitious. Dedicated. Beautiful. She's everything I want and more."