Chapter Twenty-Six

It was funny how a brief span of time could change everything

All night I had laid awake in bed, looking up at the ceiling. I had tossed and turned as the date repeated in my head. Who knew two years ago that everything would have changed? Everything changed when I first met him.

*

I sat at the dining table for the man I called my father. Every breakfast would be the same. The both of us would sit at the top end of the table. He would sit at the head while I sat beside him. Antique paintings and classic furniture adorned the dining room. God forbid anything was damaged. The rich mahogany dining table and chairs had more value than the staff. That was what he boasted every other day.

Like every meal time when he was home, I would always wait for him to come and take his place. Once he had sat down and was comfortable, the food would be served. Only when he was happy I could eat. This was just one of the many rules he used to keep me in his grasp. Of course, I hated it. I couldn't do anything about it.

Rhys Jacobs kept me trapped and used me for the benefit of the family company that his father, and his father, and his father had ruled before. I was the daughter with a pretty face. He always used me to get CEOs and businessmen to sign a contract.

I hated it.

I wanted to escape.

How could I?

"You're on time for once," His voice boomed loudly as he walked into the dining room. The sound of his shoes against the porcelain tiles made me want to scream and run.

I wanted to yell at him for being late. All these years of punctuality and he still made me feel as though it was my fault. There was never any love or empathy. There never was and never would be.

Sitting at the head of the table, he took the napkin from the plate and unfolded it.

"I need to speak to you about a very important matter," he said, pulling his chair closer to the table. Only important matters were discussed with him. Nothing else.

I looked up, showing him I was listening. Truthfully, I didn't want to. I wanted to run and disappear. I had to give my mother credit. She had the guts to leave him and leave me to face his wrath. She did what a survivor could but left her own child and blood behind.

"For the past few months, I have been talking to a very, very rich man," he said with a slight hint of happiness. When there was money involved, his mood would always be lifted. When it was something other than his growing wealth.

He motioned for our butler to bring in the breakfast.

Obviously, this was a subject that couldn't be discussed in front of the staff. Not even his most trusted.

"I suggested to him that as both very large companies and empires, we should put together our shares and plans."

I looked up at him and knew this was the part where I would come in.