Chapter 4: First Attack

Elle's POV

I shot up from my sleep panting. New world, same nightmares. Great. I looked around to see myself in an unfamiliar room. I walked off the bed and into what looked like a living room, wincing with every step. My feet were bruised from yesterday, just amazing. I walked over to the table in the middle of the room noticing a key and some money under it. How did I get here? Kakashi probably dropped me off... What do I call this place? Home? Where I live? That seems to work. Wait, if I'm still here, does that mean I passed the interrogation yesterday? Probably...right? I mean they gave me keys to an apartment so they must be allowing me to stay. Anyway, time to focus. Assuming I can stay here, I'm going to need some food and supplies, but I can't use the Hokage's money. I don't want to leech off of him, so I'll have to find a simple job. Maybe I can work in the Yamanaka flower shop! With a plan in my head, I left the apartment building.

Once I was outside, I realized that I have no idea how to get anywhere. This is going to be hell. I sighed and walked down the streets. By the time I actually found the shop, my feet were crying for help. Realizing I have no idea how I'm going to tell them I want to work there; I mentally slapped myself for even coming up with this idea. I was standing there frozen next to the shop, thinking of my next move. I could use some sort of improv sign language. I hope they won't kick me out of the store. I walked in to see a brunette lady standing next to one of the flower stands, fixing them. I walked up to her and tapped her shoulder. She jumped slightly and turned around. I smiled at her apologetically, she smiled back a warm smile and started talking. I just stared at her confused since it all sounded like gibberish to me. she seemed to have asked me a question because she stopped talking and looked at me expectantly. I shook my head and pointed to the counter and then to myself. she looked at me confused and talked again. I shook my head again and repeated the same signs I did before, this time adding a sign for money at the end. She still seemed confused, so she called out to someone from upstairs. Inoichi walked down the stairs and the lady seemed to be explaining to him something. His eyes looked over to me and he seemed to recognize me from yesterday. I wonder what he saw in my brain. he walked over to me and bent so that he's eye level with me. I smiled and pointed to him and said his name and then did the same with mine as a way of introducing myself. He nodded and smiled back at me. I did the same signs I did to the lady to him, but he also seemed confused. After a couple more tries, they seemed to give up. Inoichi said something to the lady and went outside. I stood there confused. Did he just leave? I got tired of standing so I sat down on the floor and watched the lady go back to work. A couple of minutes passed, and I still couldn't figure out what to do. I didn't come all the way here to just give up now. Think, Elle, think! I was getting frustrated at not having an answer, so I did what I always do when I can't think properly. I started knocking on my head, trying to make my brain work. When the knocking didn't work, I resorted to slamming my head on the flower stand behind me. To say that the lady looked disturbed would be an understatement. She was looking at me concerned, when the door to the shop opened again. I stopped my head slamming to see who came in. It was Inoichi with Kakashi following him. I get it now! He went and called Kakashi. That makes sense. How couldn't I think of that! I jumped to my feet, ignoring their pleads for rest, and walked over to Kakashi. I smiled at Inoichi as a thanks as Kakashi started talking to me. "Inoichi said you needed me?" he said more as a question. I nodded and started explaining the situation to him. "You see, I needed supplies and food so I needed to make some money, so I found my way here and I tried to explain to the lady that I wanted to work here but she didn't understand so she called Inoichi but he also didn't understand and then he suddenly left and I just sat there trying to think of a way to tell them that I wanted to work here but even after I used my special thinking techniques I couldn't think of anything and I was about to lose hope and just go home since it's getting late but then Inoichi walked in with you and I got excited again!" I took a deep breath and he just looked at me with a bored yet amused expression. "Why would you need to find a job in the first place? The Hokage gave you your monthly allowance." I smiled sheepishly and took out the money and handed it to him. "yeah, I realized. But I can't accept that money. It's not mine to take. It could be used in way more useful stuff around the village. Besides I'm fully capable of getting my own money!" he shook his head and smiled. "if you want to work so bad, I guess I can help." He looked over to the lady and Inoichi, who were both watching our conservation, and started explaining what I have been trying to explain for 2 hours now. They looked over at me and nodded at Kakashi. I think that's a yes! He turned around and nodded towards me as I jumped up and down from happiness. Goal accomplished! I walked out with Kakashi as he told me my shift timings. I thanked him, apologized for the trouble, and made my way back to where I live.

As I was walking back to where I live, I noticed a stain on my socks. I shrugged it off and continued walking. I think this is the most I've walked in such a long time. My body hurts so bad. I can't be a ninja with this kind of stamina. I need to get back in shape. I guess that's what I'll do tomorrow. I finally reached the building and stumbled up the stairs, into the apartment and on the bed, falling into instant sleep.

Kakashi's POV

I watched Elle walk away from the Yamanaka flower shop. She sure is a strange one. I shrugged and teleported to the Hokage's office. I seemed to interrupt his paperwork. He looked up at me, "Lord hokage, Elle has given me back the money you gave her." he seemed confused as I pulled out the money from my pocket and placed it on his desk. "May I ask what led up to this?" he asked curiously. "Well you see I was called into the Yamanaka flower shop today to help Elle get a job, while I was there, she gave me the money and told me that she's capable of making her own money." He seemed to be analyzing what I said. "Did she seem hurt in any way?" He looked like he was anxious to hear the answer. I wonder what made him think that she would be hurt. I looked back trying to remember, but nothing stood out to me, so I shook my head. He sighed and dismissed me after suggesting that I go check on her just in case. This is the second time someone said something weird about that girl. Maybe I'll ask Inoichi later. After all, it's my duty to know as much as I can about my student.

I teleported outside her building and knocked on her door. After a couple of minutes of her not answering, I gave up on going in through the door and jumped in through her window. I walked in to see her laying down on her bed. Tears were streaming down her face and her feet were bleeding. She looked like she was having a nightmare, but something felt off. Following my instincts, I pulled up my head band and was surprised at what I saw. She was emitting chakra from her whole body. It didn't look like the chakra was surrounding her. It looked more to be leaving her body. if she keeps going at this rate, she might completely deplete her chakra. I walked up to her and shook her awake. She shot up and looked at me scared as the chakra that was leaving her body increased. "please don't kill me, I swear I'm not an enemy of the leaf. Please don't kick me out I don't want to go back there." she said as she cowered away from me. "don't worry I'm not here to hurt you." I said calmly as I pulled my headband down to cover my Sharingan again. She looked at me once more before she dug her head in between her knees and started crying and shivering. She began mumbling apologies under her breath. "What are you apologizing for?" I asked gently as I sat at the foot of her bed. She just shook her head at me as her shaking got more violent. Now even without my Sharingan, I could sense the chakra leaking out of her body. If this doesn't stop, this could be really bad.

I walked over to her and carried her, deciding that a medical expert would know more than I do. She tensed in my arms and her body went stiff. Her shivering was getting more violent and her cries now were merely silent tears. I teleported to the hospital with her in my arms and rushed her to the nearest doctor. He tried to take her from my arms, but she clung to me whimpering whenever he touched her. Seeing that his attempts wouldn't work, he told me to take her to the nearest empty bed. I laid her down on the bed and watched as the medic rushed in. In no time, his hands started glowing green and he placed them on her head. Within minutes, she was calmly sleeping in the hospital bed as the medic went to treat her feet as well.

Once he was done, I walked over to him and asked what happened. He looked at me confused and started talking. "She had no physical issues that would cause this. The strange thing is I didn't use medical ninjutsu to heal her. Her body just seemed to suck in my chakra. I've never seen anything like it." I thanked him and teleported over to the Hokage's office to report to him what happened.

I walked in to see him putting away his papers, preparing to leave. "hokage-sama, I'm here to report an incident." He looked at me surprised and nodded for me to go on. "I went to check on Elle, but she was sleeping. Strangely, when she was sleeping, her whole body seemed to be leaking chakra. I woke her up concerned that her reserves would be depleted. She seemed to think I was there to assassinate her, and she started shaking violently. I took her to the hospital and the doctor seemed to treat her but after he was done, he said that she was sucking in his chakra and that he didn't use any medical ninjutsu. After hearing that, I directly came to report to you." He nodded and sighed. "Interesting, interesting indeed." He paused for a second and then looked at me seriously "Kakashi, I'll assign you this mission. Watch over the girl and get me as much information on her as you can. You are relieved of all other missions till that girl is deemed completely trustworthy, dismissed" I nodded, accepting my mission and teleported back to my house. This mission is going to be a handful, I sighed and decided to end the night there and go to bed.