I stood my ground. "Well, we can't just leave without him."

She sighed. "I know that, but we can't be late for District Eleven either. Someone has to go fetch him". She started looking at me expectedly this time. I sighed. Well this is just great. 

It's not that I don't like Haymitch, I just don't know him. Well apart from Slendor, I don't know any Victors and they sorta freak me out. If you've ever watched the games then you'd get where I'm coming from. They're all killers and now according to Slendor they're 'my people'. Something I never want to get used to.

Then there's also what Haymitch told Duke about me. Saying how I couldn't be trusted because I  looked like I was hiding something. Only for me deny it and then kill Duke and win the games. I just didn't want to hear 'I told you so' . 

I stared at her in annoyance . "Why can't you go?"

Blu scoffed. "Because my job is to do most of your work for you. The least you can do is go and quickly sort out drama between two drunks while I plan your entire tour. I expect the both you at the train station in no longer than half an hour".

With that she kissed my forehead and hopped in the car. As if she'd just leave me here!

Great! Just great.  I asked the Mayor in which direction I was supposed to find  Victor's Village and he pointed to a hill not too far away.

I had to bloody hike it because I'm wearing heels and it took me what felt like ages to arrive at Victor's Village. It was incredible, like someone had just picked up my home from Ten and dumped it in District Twelve. I walked past the gate and came to about six identical mansions and stopped. Which one belongs to Haymitch Abernathy?

I didn't want to knock on every door but then again, do I really want to be screaming Slendor's name? He does hate it when I scream.

I heard what sounded like a glass shattering in the house to my left. Well guess that answers that.

I quickly walked over there and slowly opened the front door only to gag at the pure stench that attacked my nose. Dried up vomit amongst grime was the first thing I'd put to the source of the smell. Once I swallowed down my own bile I quietly closed the door behind me. I am in the middle of a pigsty. Abernathy really has let himself go... and his house too apparently.

I sighed. Here it goes nothing. "Slendor! We have to go!"

I waited. Annnd nothing. Goddamn it!

I started walking in the direction of voices, my heels clicking angrily behind me. 

I found Slendor with his feet up, a glass of whisky in hand and laughing his ass off. Haymitch was in the exact same position, they almost looked like brothers.

I cleared my throat and they both turned to face me. Slendor's eyes lit up a bit and Haymitch gave me a smile. Something that confused me.

I rubbed my neck awkwardly. "Uh-Blu says we um have to go now soo..."

Slendor's eyes lit up and he pointed at me drunkenly. "This is her Haymitch, took out the entire career pack. Say hi to Haymitch, Beautiful".

Well we're obviously not on our first round are we. 

I smiled lightly at Haymitch. "Hey". 

He smirked back at me. "Hey yourself, how old are you sweetheart?"

I bit my lip a little at the Victor who'd won a Quarter Quell. "Sixteen".

He sighed and took another swing of his whiskey. "That's young, but youngsters like you have been winning it lately. Sorry you won."

Slendor snorted. "I'm not. She's not too bad once you get to know her".

Haymitch looked down at his glass solemnly. "Wouldn't know, it's just me in Twelve. But you did good kid. Real...innovative. The Arsonist". He then snorted into his glass and started having a laughing fit.

I clicked my tongue in annoyance. "Thanks".

I then turned to Slendor. "I hate to break this up but Blu wants us back at the train station."

Slendor nodded and put his glass down. "I figure you're not going to the Capitol party so we'll see each other at the next games".

Haymitch seemed to be passed out on the table so I doubted he actually got any of that. Slendor sighed, clapped him on the shoulder and muttered "Until next time, friend". 

Slendor's shades were back on and he'd already left the room. I was still staring at the passed out Victor. I wondered if one day I'd ever end up like that. Drunk and alone, my only friend or family in other Districts.

"Lyra! Let's go!".

I quickly left but not without grabbing the nearest blanket and throwing it over Haymitch. Hopefully that way he won't catch his death.

I raced out of Haymitch's house to find Slendor waiting for me with his hands on his hips. He tipped his head at me. "You know, if I knew you were planning on staying behind to steal the old mans liquor, I could've told you that we have some on the train". He winked at me.

I gave him a mock glare. "Ha, Ha. Very funny". 

We'd gotten back to the station in time and Blu didn't seem too mad about earlier. We'd had what'd soon become the normal extravagant dinner and we commenced each night by watching the re-cap of the tour. 

It pretty much became a routine by District eight. I'd get off the train, go in the car, say my stupid speech while smiling, shake hands with a Mayor and then I'm back on the train to re-peat it all over again.

 It got more difficult once I hit District Four. Nameless faces of the children I burned alive where staring back at me. What's even worse was that the career districts welcomed me with open arms. The most enthusiastic of crowds and yet I'd killed their children!. When I got to District Four, I'd expected the same resentment of District Twelve. Instead, I got all the praise in the world. One and Two were no better. 

Tomorrow I'd arrive in the Capitol of what is going to be the biggest party of the year. The only problem is, you can't hide in the world's largest party when it's being thrown in your honour.