Alexander and I walked further away from my house, up to a forest near by. He giggled, letting go of my hand and ran ahead of me.

"Hurry daddy!!" He shouted.

I put out the joint and tossed it into a garbage can next to the pebbled pathway. My long legs ran after him. I hugged him from behind once I caught up, picking him up a bit. He squealed adorably, holding onto my strong arms. I put him down and he turned facing me, giving me a big hug. I smiled. I felt happy, really happy. It was like nothing else mattered when I was with Alexander.

We continued walking through the forest, holding hands.

I took him down to the river. The river was soft, wending its way between the trees that were vivid green only in the springtime. Unfortunately now there were no leaves on any of the trees. In the daylight the water didn't sparkle like it did at night, instead it was mellow. I'd have to take Alexander back here one day when it got dark outside. When it was sundown, all you could hear were few crickets chirping, and the sound of the river flow. Up ahead was a bridge. Slightly curved beams of brown wood from land to land with a railings on each side. Already my eyes were scanning the ground for pebbles.

We sat on a big rock together and watched the stream trickle by. He sat in between my legs as I held around his waist, resting my chin on his shoulder. He had a handful of small pebbles in his hand that I had found for him. I watched him toss them in one by one. He giggled every time the water made a droplet sound. Why did I find everything that Alex does cute?

•••

As we began walking home, I saw Emma walking with her friend Sawyer from the corner of my eye. I clenched my teeth together, not wanting anything to do with him. I kept walking, trying to pretend they were invisible.

"Hey Alex!" Alex stopped in his steps, which caused me to stop as well. I rolled my eyes and closed them, getting annoyed. Both of us looked over to see Emma running to us. Sawyer followed behind her, at a normal pace.

"So you're my replacement?" Emma said to Alex as she blew a bubble with the gum she was chewing. Emma's eyes scanned up and down Alexander's body with an attitude.

"Emma. Leave." I said, getting angry.

"What do you mean..?" Alexander said, looking down to the concrete beneath his feet.

She ignored me, "You guys are just like best friends all of a sudden." She sassed.

"Let's go, Alexander. Sawyer, please control your friend." I provoked, glaring at Emma.

"Em.. come on, let's not do this." Sawyer said.

Emma completely ignored him.

Alex and I began walking away.

"Don't you miss me? Why are you spending all your time with someone like him?" Emma irritated me more as she crossed her arms, blowing another bubble.

"No. I don't miss you." I said, my voice lined with anger. Alex put his hand on my chest, calming me down.

"Why is he touching you like that?" Emma added then mumbled, "Pervert."

Alexander took his hand off my chest and placed them into his pockets, not giving any of us eye contact. "Can we please go..?"

I nodded, sighing to relieve the fury and turned back around, sauntering down the street next to Alexander.

"Why is she so.. mean..?" He muffled.

"She's always been that way, but she's still mad that I left.. so you're the one she's gonna take it out on since I'm with you a lot."