Chapter Twenty-Six

Vanessa 

It takes all of five seconds for complete chaos to rein throughout the settlement. People start pushing shoving aside to save their own hides. I get the unfortunate view of seeing two Bobbies tear into the male witch who had accompanied me to the ocean. One bites into the neck while the chews off his lips in a morbid reenactment of a kiss.

I glance around and look for Kore and I see her assisting the children into a high up hideaway that most Bobbies would have trouble gaining access. Suddenly I get a face full of sand, and I turn fast enough to see the Bobby jumping onto of me. I attempt to conjure, but some reason I am unable to even feel a flicker of my magic dance in my fingertips. Sometimes not right. I bring my legs up and manage to put the Bobby in a chokehold, following the technique had shown me I break its neck.

I pop up, and the sudden feeling of my magic is once again flooding my senses and nearly throws me back on the ground. Glancing around, I carefully engulf each and every Bobby with flames. A couple they to crawl towards the unluckily still near to them, but plants start to grow from nowhere and encircles each Bobby and starts to crush them.

I look up and see Kore panting with pitch-black eyes with the telling pale pupil of a witch. I gape at her show of power but suddenly under Nate's raving of her abilities. Nessa, he would whisper you gotta see this for yourself. I mean, your black flames are still my fav, but that takes a heard second.

"Is everyone accounted for?" Kore's rings out across the clearing, and my heart sinks at the apparent decrease of the number of people. She has tears running down her face, and if I thought comforting her would ease her pain, my arms would be open to her in a heartbeat beat.

My mother had that look upon her face the first time we moved without our coven. She had told me there had been disagreements, and we were simply going out separate ways. Knowing what I do, I can't help but wonder if there was more to the story. Those answers though, will forever be lost to me.

I feel eyes on me and turn to see Keira lurking in the shadows. Her hair has come completely undone, and her clothes have tears everywhere. She limps over to Kore, and they have a heated private conversation. Both of them go in separate directions, though, and have guarded expressions upon their faces.

I look at the mess littered all over the place and start to help the others to set the camp back up. The sun has set by the time we've finished, and I glance around but don't spot Kore anywhere and decide to go look for her. Losing one's people is always hard, and perhaps she would like an ear that knows what she's going through. I hear her before I see her.

"I can't believe you've done this," she tells someone, causing me to pause in place. We're a little ways away from the camp, and I know nobody is probably aware of where we've gone. Besides that, the ocean is roaring something fierce, making it hard to hear anything other than Kore's angry tone.

"You say that, but you have done this purely for your own gain." Kore once sounds out, and she must be talking to someone, but I just can't make them out as I try to inch closer to the argument going on.

Suddenly, something hits the back of my head, and I fall to my hands and knees. I try to get up, but somebody keeps knocking me down and kicking my stomach. I spread out a short burst of fire around my body. I hear a grunt and twist around to look at my attacker. I am greeted with the black uniform of the NTSCU before I feel a pinch at my neck, and I fall into darkness.

 I am greeted with the black uniform of the NTSCU before I feel a pinch at my neck, and I fall into darkness