Chapter Twenty-Five

A quick little Author's Note, wanted to credit jaszthewayyoulikeit for my new text divider. I'll be using this one for every one of Vanessa's chapters from here on out and if I ever get around to posting edits I'll put in those chapters too. Well on with the story!

 Well on with the story!

Vanessa

The road is bumpy and rough. Silence encompasses the car. When someone so much as coughs, I glare at them causing them to slam their mouth shut. Keria sits next to me on Nate's seat and is humming some creepy little tune. I honestly didn't know if what Keria said was true.

She never liked it when I'd leave Dolon as fast as I entered. She would wear a shocked expression on her face, as if she couldn't believe that I wouldn't jump at the chance to stay with her—with them.

Keira's obvious dislike of Nate does not even include how she would treat him. In the beginning, she didn't seem to mind him, but after that one attack she suddenly picked up a vendetta with him. She tried to get everyone on her bandwagon of never allowing Nate to step into the town again.

Luckily, no one bought into Keira's words too much as everyone trusts Kore's judgment where Nate is concerned. It doesn't hurt that after saving Kore and Amena, the other witches were open to him being there.

I can't help but feel on edge, and it's not just about the mysterious situation that Keira has yet to tell me about. Nate and I have been inseparable since met each other in an abandoned supermarket. 

I try to look on the bright side of this little trip: I'll get the chance to roam around without Nate having my back at every turn. Nobody will be cracking jokes meant for my ears only and trying their best to make our impossible situations seem a bit better. Ugh, I miss him.

"Take a left up here." Keria interrupts my train of thought, and I shake my head before making the turn she indicated. "Wow, this sure is a fast way to travel. You and Nate must've been across the country by now," she said with a sly glint in her eyes. I squeeze the wheel to keep from breaking her nose.

Everybody knows we don't ever travel that far East. We both feared that we'd be caught and killed by the NTSCU. Besides, none of us really knew what was out there. I grew up in that part of the country, but I spent most of my time with my head down.

I sighed and tried to calm myself. Really, it's not her fault that I had to be dragged out here to deal with this problem. I sneak another glance at her. Her blue eyes are wide, and a giddiness seems to be lurking within them. Her sandy blond hair is pulled into a tight bun with not a strand out of place. 

I shake my head, focusing my gaze up ahead as the ground smoothes out. I noticed the mountains on either side of the road. I know the car definitely won't fit between the walls, so I gently press the brakes and stop the engine.