Chapter 1- Taunting Whispers

[] L E O []

"Did you hear? The band is actually coming to town!"

"They're amazing!"

"I bought tickets nearly a year ago!"

Again.

Once again, my morning nap was disrupted by the rude whispers of the students around me.

My eyes snapped open at the sound of the annoying voices, and I found myself feeling crankier than when I woke up this morning. With a sigh, I sat up straighter and looked around to find the cause of my awakening, but as I looked around, I couldn't pinpoint exactly who woke me up. It seemed as if everyone was talking all at once.

'Since when were Tuesdays this fucking exciting?' I thought.

As I was glaring at all the heads in the room, my gaze drifted off to one person in particular.

She was walking up the isle beside me, her head hung low. I tried to catch a glimpse of her face, but couldn't, since her hair blocked it. I think she appreciated how her hair reached down to her waist, with how she used it as a curtain. She wore a hood as well, which she nearly drowned in, too.

She continued walking up the ramp beside me, her clothes emitting a strong scent of roses as she inched closer. I also managed to get a view of her eyes.

Brown.

Plain and simple.

She walked past me and went to the back row, just a row behind me, and sat at the desk diagonal from mine. With a small sigh, she turned to get her stuff settled.

That's when I whipped my head back around. I took a quick look around the class, and noticed the girl with the brown eyes managed to slip past everyone's attention. They were busy among themselves, having conversations like normal students.

I hadn't noticed her before. Probably because I never notice anything around me besides my close group of friends, Andre and Jamal, but I don't ever recall seeing anyone with such a dull appearance. This college was full of people who talked too much and were full of colour.

This girl however, was the definition of the word: grey.

It was almost as if a literal grey cloud covered her. I was surprised that she caught my attention, but I didn't think too much of it. I would probably forget about her the moment my lecture ends.

The professor walked in a moment later, holding a sheet of paper in her hands, accompanied with a blinding smile on her face. I frowned, annoyed at the fact that I couldn't get my twenty minute nap in before class started.

"Good morning, class," Professor Benny greeted once she had her projector set up.

A few people grumbled out a response, while the others stayed silent. I unintentionally found myself turning to locate the girl from before, and my frown deepened when I noticed that her head was still hung low and hands were clasped together tightly in her lap. I looked away again, facing the front one last time.

"Now, I know it's still a bit early in the semester but I hope all of you are settling in. And now, here's the lecture for today..."

I scoffed. We were only two weeks into school, and if it weren't for Andre dragging me here at least three days a week, I would have gladly spent the rest of the semester sleeping. As for settling in, I haven't even opened more than one suitcase yet.

I sighed and for once, paid attention to the lesson being taught, in order to take my mind off of the brown-eyed girl. 

* * *