02. The Banshee

I sat silently as Nathan walked around the kitchen, pots and pans clattering against themselves as he started preparing dinner. Beside me, Theo sat on one of the stools of the counter, smiling as he typed something in his phone.

"Ay yo Nat," Theo called out, catching Nathan's attention. Theo turned his phone around, and Nathan furrowed his eyebrows slightly as he studied the screen for a few seconds before he grunted and rolled his eyes.

"I don't care about that. Tell them that 3 days is all they have." He muttered before turning around again, going back to cooking. I shifted in my seat, grimacing when the ropes that bind my hands together burned against my wrists. "And how about you come and help me with food? I am seriously tired of cooking for your fatass everyday."

"And that's why you're hubby material," Theo mumbled nonchalantly, his eyes still on his phone. "I love you honey."

Nathan's face scrunched up in disgust.

I pulled my hands away from each other in a feeble attempt to loosen the knot that Nathan had tied. My feet were tied together too, making me wobble in the high counter stool without being able to stabilize myself. Before I could do anything, I felt the stood tipping backwards, making my eyes wide. I squealed as the stood successfully tripped backwards, sending me crashing against the white marble of the kitchen. My head slammed against the floor as my body stayed sprawled on the floor due to my tied up limbs.

"As if one dumbass wasn't enough," I heard Nathan mutter bitterly before his shoes came in my vision. "God gave me two." Grabbing my waist, he pulled me up effortlessly, an annoyed frown on his face.

"I was practically useless, my limbs are tied!"

"You're not on a vacation sweetheart, you're being held captive. What else do you expect?"

"A little freedom would be nice." I muttered as Nathan lowered me on my seat again.

"Don't move."

"I don't really have a choice in that matter."

Theo laughed beside me.

——

"You'll be sleeping here." Nathan spoke dully as he flickered on the lights of a vacant room. Grabbing my arm, he pulled me in. He led me to the bed before motioning me to sit down. The mattress below me sunk as I placed my weight on it, and Nathan immediately pulled out a pair of handcuffs from his pocket.

I eyed him curiously, "How many of these do you own?"

"Stop talking." He murmured before he quickly reached behind my back, undoing the ropes around my wrists. Nathan was nice enough to undo the ropes around my ankles earlier, but he stayed unfazed when I begged him to do the same to my wrists. Despite my countless promises of staying just as obedient without my restraints, Nathan refused to move a muscle.

Once my wrists were finally free, Nathan didn't give me a single second to enjoy my new-found freedom as he quickly hooked the handcuff around my left wrist. He locked the other handcuff of the pair to the bedframe, successfully locking me with the bed.

Once he was done, he pulled the covers and carelessly threw them on my body, "Sleep."

I parted my chapped lips to speak as I saw Nathan walking out of the room. I couldn't sleep without my sleeping pills, the nightmares would be too much.

"Hey?"

Nathan turned around, his eyebrow raised in curiosity.

"Can I have...um sleeping pills?"

He stared at my face for a few seconds before speaking, "Absolutely not."

When he turned around to leave again, I called out, my voice pleading. "Please?"

"I am not giving you any sort of medication without prescription, Angel."

"I just," I tried reasoning with him, clutching at the last straws. The mere thought of getting nightmares again, in an alien house that too, made me shudder in fear. "I won't be able to sleep tonight without th-"

Nathan wasn't having any of me as he curtly shook his head, "You already have my answer. Don't make me mad, Hills. Go to sleep."

And with that he shut the door close, making my shoulders drop.

——

Sweat glistened on his forehead as he stared at me, his eyes glimmering with monstrosity. "You can't run forever, Angelina."

I didn't think twice before I forced my feet to climb up the stairs, my breathing way too quick. I screeched out as I heard yet another gunshot from downstairs. Running to my bedroom, I threw myself in. My heart drummed against my chest loudly, and I wiped my tears away in a hurry.

My fingers shook greatly as I closed the door in front of me, my lips trembling as tears paraded down my cheeks.

She's dead.

He killed her.

My body shot upwards, my hand immediately clutching someone's arm as a startled scream left my lips. I took a large gulp of air as someone shook my shoulders.

"Angel, what the hell happened?"

I raise my teary eyes and recoiled back in shock when I saw Nathan towering above me, my hand wrapped around his arm as I held him close. I removed my hand from his forearm quickly, clearing my throat awkwardly.

His golden eyes stayed on my face when he whispered, "You screamed so loudly that I thought someone had broken in. Jeez Angel, I literally raced to your room. What happened?"

"Nightmare." I looked down, my fingers playing with the covers. "I am sorry. You should go back to sleep."

"What was it about?" He asked, irritation subtly lacing his words, making a sudden wave of embarrassment crash over me. "I've never seen a normal nightmare cause such a reaction to someone."

"Nothing. I am sorry I woke you-"

"You kept saying something."

My ears perked up at that, my heart dropping to my stomach, "W-What?"

"You kept saying he killed her," Nathan shook his head. "Did...did something happen?"

"Drop it, Nathan," I snapped, my head spinning as tears brimmed my eyes again. "Just go back to sleep."

"It's kinda hard to when you're housing a damn banshee," He snapped back, his ego obviously hurt after I denied his request multiple times. "What was that about?"

"What makes you think you're worthy of that information, huh?" I spoke, my eyebrows furrowed as tears dripped down my face. "You're supposed to let me go anyways. Until then, I'll stay out of your way and you stay out of mine."

Nathan stared at me blankly for a few seconds before he stood up abruptly, his lips curved in a bitter frown. "Fine."