Chapter 40

The pod was spinning endlessly, but it felt like it was moving in slow motion. I stared through the window, watching Diana scream through the space between us. Her hands were bloody. The blood on her face made her look menacing, but she was just scared. She was so close. I could almost touch her. She was just a second off. I banged on the glass, telling the computer to go back, go back, but it was futile. It was launching into deep space. I watched until her small window disappeared among the stars. The station was growing smaller and smaller. The big, red planet was now the size of my fist.

I slid down, tears welling in my eyes. I didn't want to do this alone. I failed her. Now, she was stuck all alone with that maniac. I prayed she would be okay, that she could kick his ass. I rubbed my face with my hands and cried for a while. I left everyone and everything behind. I didn't want this. I didn't want any of this.

"YOU MAY FREELY MOVE AROUND THE CABIN."

The door on the other side opened.

"PROJECTED TIME TO REACH EARTH IS FOUR DAYS, SIX HOURS, TWENTY-SEVEN MINUTES, AND FIFTY-SIX SECONDS."

I got up. Sniffling, I looked around. There were twelve bunk beds, a small bathroom, a shower, and some food in a tiny kitchen. It was like an RV in space. I went to the front and sat in the captain's chair. There was a wheel, but it was on autopilot. A hologram of Earth showed up on the dash with the countdown clock. I stared at the clock for a while.

I then knew the feeling Diana had. I wish I had never woken up. I wish I hadn't known what I was losing. I had everything.

Now, I really lost everything.