Chapter 8

"Dude, today is the day," John said. "Are you sure this is going to work?"

"Don't worry," I said as everyone started walking to class. "If Bradley wants to keep playing basketball, he doesn't have a choice."

Today was the day Lancaster would pull the alarm. A couple of days back, when I was called into the office, they couldn't find the drugs. I had already dumped the stash and the gun in a garbage can. I threw some paper towels over it so it couldn't be seen. As a result, nothing happened. The cop had no reason to pull his gun. He kept his hand close to the sidearm the whole time.

I almost dared him to pull it on me. Now that I knew he was working for Shiva, I could see smaller detailed signs that made him seem off. His finger tapped on his belt while I was being questioned. He kept looking at the bag like the gun would magically float out. Before I left, he suddenly relaxed, like he was glad he didn't have to do anything.

Now, it was time for Lancaster to make his move. I already told Bradley what he was going to do. If he didn't pull through, then we were screwed.

First class, second class, lunch, third class rolled back. I won't lie, I may or may not have remembered what was on the tests prior to taking them the second time. I was sure I wouldn't make any failing grades. Just like I predicted, the fire alarm started going off. We were walking down the hallway when it was cut off, followed by the principal's voice.

"Attention, students and faculty. Please return to your classrooms. There is no fire. It was a false alarm. I repeat, please return to class."

John looked at me. "What did you do?"

I smiled. "Bradley may have thrown himself under the bus."

"Bradley took the blame for the bell?"

"Yup. One of the oldest tricks in the book. I had dirt on him, and he did exactly what he was supposed to. He went to the office and told the principal that he pulled the alarm for no reason. The worst he gets is detention, and we stay out of Lancaster's radar."

"Dude. That was actually kind of smart." He faked wiping a tear. "I'm so proud."

I punched his shoulder. "Shut up. I just played the Uno reverse card on Lancaster and made him draw five cards."

"So, we're safe?"

"For a while, yeah. We can take our tests and leave on Friday when school lets out early. You already told your dad, right?"

"Yeah. I told him we were going camping for a few days at a lake somewhere. He's giving me some extra cash for us to use. I think he thinks we're going to be buying beer."

"We are not buying beer, John."

"Aw, man."

"I'm using my car-saving funds, so that should be fun."

"See you after school. I'm gonna go fail my exam now."

"Go get'em, tiger."

~~~

"You better be safe," my mom said. "I don't want you getting sick or hurt."

"I'll be fine, mom," I said. "I won't get hurt. There's four others going."

"I know how reckless teenagers can be," she said. "Just don't go crazy. And try not to drink underage."

"Mom. There won't be any alcohol!"

She rolled her eyes. "Okay then..."

I packed a few sets of clothes. I didn't want to stuff duffles full, but I also didn't know how long we would really be gone. It was probably going to take more than a week, maybe more. I still almost couldn't believe we were doing this. Being runaways to find a secret organization that wants me killed for an insane power I never knew I had. This was turning out to be an interesting summer.