Chapter 11

When we got back, we told them about our short encounter with Lancaster and the other two. Linda was probably the most furious, saying we were putting ourselves, and the others, at risk with our recklessness. Basically, she became our mother for five minutes. We were punished with eating cold burgers and fries. In case you've never tried McDonald's cold, don't. It's a fate worse than death.

The next morning, we took the car to the big library. We asked the cranky librarian where the older newspapers were. Grumbling about dumb kids, she led us to a large room full of boxes and a couple of computers. She said every newspaper printed in Louisville for the past three-hundred years were stores away in that room. Every newspaper was also scanned and archived in the computers in the room in the library's database for quick retrieval. Apparently, she was the one that had to scan all of the documents. What a nerd.

Thanking her, we proceeded to go through the newspapers. John got on one of the computers while the rest of us searched through the boxes. After about two hours, we were starting to get frustrated.

"Any of these could be who we are looking for," Lynn said. "We need more information or we will be here for days."

"I might have an idea," Linda said. She dialed on her phone and turned on the speaker.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Dwight. We're in the library digging up old records, but we're not getting anywhere."

"And it smells," John added. Apparently, he hasn't been in a library much.

"Boo hoo. Maybe if you spent more time in a library, you would be used to the smell of old books. I bet your grades would improve, too."

Lynn snorted. "I like him."

"Is there any more information you can tell us that might give us a clue as to when she disappeared?"

"Hang on," he said. There was some loud typing from his mechanical keyboard. "When we were talking, it was about September or October when I caught Shiva tracking me from my old computer. The next day, I had bought a new laptop and installed all of the software I needed. I tried to message her, but there was no reply. She didn't even read the message."

"When was this?"

"About five years ago, I think."

"Great. Thanks."

"Yep."

She hung up.

"I'm already on it," John said. "Give me... a second... to... found it."

Everyone crowded around the computer screen.

"Glad I don't have claustrophobia."

The article wasn't a very big one. It only took up a short section. The title was in bold, but almost the same size as the normal print of the text.

FARM GIRL GOES MISSING

"Wow," Linda said. "This screams as much as a man from the grave."

"I almost missed it," John said. "Didn't seem important to the press, I guess. Hey, Lynn, how's your English?"

Lynn gave him the finger and started reading.

"Local law enforcement is searching for a missing girl of sixteen, Paige Dillard, who was last seen at her father's farm just outside of Louisville. She was speculated to be harboring another female fugitive, who was convicted of multiple felonies and third-degree murder. Evidence suggested she was kidnapped by the convict after being swayed to do her bidding. Her father claimed the woman didn't seem dangerous, but he has dedicated every amount of information to the police in order to find his lost daughter. If anyone has any information pertaining to this case, please call... that's it."