Chapter 68: Bridge

Start from the beginning

She knew by now not to question his logic. "How do you propose we go about building this bridge?"

"Oh, building it is easy," Kashi replied. "What I want to accomplish is much more complex than the bridge itself."

"And what, pray tell is that?"

"I'll tell you in person."

"And when will that be? There's a whole river between both countries."

"Yeah, but I'll be there in a few minutes."

"How exactly?"

Kashi took out a painting from his inventory. It was of Fera's statue in Ranad's square. He held Kira with his left hand as he chanted, "Teleport!"

The duo was encased in bright light, which forced their eyes shut. When they opened it, they stood in Fera's square.

Kashi released the painting, which burned to dust as it floated away.

The duo drew a lot of curious glances from the players present. No one had seen a successful teleport in this game yet, which made Kashi and Kira highly suspect. Before they could question the visitors, an old man barreled past, excitement in his eyes and voice as he stopped and bowed before the daeben.

"Kashi-dono!" Elecurb cried. "It is an honor to welcome you back to our humble town. Your absence has been sorely missed."

Kashi laughed lightly as he helped the older man to his feet. "No, no elder. It is I who am honored to return." He admired the village, which was now more of a mini-city. "I see you have made strong progress with the town."

"Yes, sir," Elecurb agreed. "Though we could not have done it without the assistance of Ms. Lightwood. She has been a revelation."

"I am sure she has," Kashi affirmed. "I would be pleased if you would escort me to her office. I have matters of import to discuss, and I believe you should play a major part in it."

Elecurb's eyes shone. "Yes, sir! It would be my honor."

Kashi, Kira, and the mayor made their way into the guild, leaving many confused adventurers behind. Even more so when he entered the headquarters of the Hopeful Maggots without a single question thrown in their direction.

Kashi made to open the door to Leila's office, but it swung open on its own. Leila regarded him with amusement. "You sure know how to make an entrance. Thought you prioritized a low cover?"

"Was an emergency," Kashi replied as he entered the room. A smile crossed his face as he checked out the office. The books that lined the massive bookshelves were terribly organized, betraying the fact they had been hurriedly replaced, much like the unruly sheaves on her desk. As always, the wood elf had been engrossed in her work before he disturbed her.

"I gathered that when you suddenly popped up in the square," Leila replied. "What was so urgent you had to come down in person?"

Kashi raised a brow. "You almost sound displeased?" He asked as he took a seat.

"No, no," Leila shook her head. "You caught me off guard is all." She sat opposite Kashi and motioned for Elecurb to join them. She relaxed in her seat, but her eyes were as sharp as ever. "If I'd known you were coming, I could have made the place a little less unsightly."

Kashi shook his head. "Don't worry about it." He took out some blank parchments from his inventory and placed them on the table. "I have something I need to show you."

"What is it?"

Kashi took out a pencil, then paused to think for a moment. An image formed in his head, and he guided the pencil rapidly across the parchment. "Crafting a monumental object is not like crafting a statue. The more craftsmen participate, the faster it will be built."