Chapter 17

Tam P.O.V 

"HELP HELP!"  a girls voice was calling out from the darkness. I charged in-

"I'M COMING BIANA!" 

"TAM-" 

And then the voice was gone and I heard screaming, terrible screaming and I tried to run forward and to save her, but I couldn't move. I looked down and saw my feet tied to the ground with horrible, black ropes that were the same ropes that had held me against the wall in the cave. 

I couldn't move, I could only listen as the screaming got worse. I tried to cover my ears, but suddenly my hands were pulled and tied with the ropes too and the screaming and the crying kept on going and I just stood there, doing nothing. 

And then, they stopped and somebody with a dark cloak and a single white eye threw a dead, and bloodied Biana, arms twisted at unnatural angles at my feet, and they laughed, and I screamed and I still couldn't move...

And then they brought Linh over, and I was forced to hear my sister's screams, her voice pleading for help, for me to come, and I couldn't... I couldn't....I couldn't. And then her voice stopped yelling, and the room fell silent again. The same one threw her dead body, mauled and ruined right next to Biana's and it happened again. And again. 

Keefe. Dex. Marella. Fitz. Sophie. Wylie. 

And then there were ones I didn't even know I would cry for, but I did. 

Mom. Dad. 

Ones I didn't even know well... 

Oralie. Juline. Alden. Della. Grady. Edaline. 

There were more that I couldn't save. 

And then I saw the faces, the faces of the ones who died. 

There was the Forkles, the people who had let me and Linh into the Black Swan, the people who gave us a new life, a better life, one that wasn't sad and miserable and lonely. And I couldn't help them, just like I couldn't save Biana. 

And then there was Tiergan. The man who had let us into his home. Who raised us like a dad. Who treated us no different than any other elf, and he had died. Died. For trying to save us, for trying to protect us and he was dead. Because of me. Because I couldn't protect him, not even once like he had protected us. 

There was Jensi, who I didn't know well, but was so young and happy and bubbly. And he had a brother, parents that had lost their youngest son. A whole life ahead of him. And he was dead too. Because of something he had no control in, something that wasn't his fault, something that shouldn't have involved him at all, but it did. 

The bodyguards, goblins that had died for us. 

Kesler, who had died to protect us. 

And then, there was Livvy. 

Livvy, who had sheltered me when I had run away from the Neverseen. Livvy who let me into her home, knowing that they were following me. Livvy who let me stay there regardless, and helped me back to my full health. Who treated my wounds, and kept me alive. Livvy who told me to run, as they burst into her home. Livvy who had screamed for me to go as the Neverseen members piled on top of her. And Livvy, who had died, trying to protect me. 

There ghostly faces swirled around me, reminders of more people I couldn't save, more deaths and things I couldn't stop. 

And then, the dead bodies around me started to glow, as each one of the dead's ghostly face appeared around me.