Chapter 13

Tam P.O.V

The world was falling apart. 

We had honestly just finished fighting a war, and now all this stupid stuff happened, and the world is like: "Oh, I'm just gonna send you back into another war, how does that sound?"

I mean seriously, is there any point to any of this anymore? What if after all this happens, something else happens and the world is like: "Back to war with you!"? 

Biana is still gone. After everything I tried, after trying so hard, she was still gone. She was gone with the psycho Ruy, who is probably hurting her, or torturing her, and I can't do anything about it. Nothing at all. We tried going after them, and what did we gain? 

We've got a burned, half-dead zombie more commonly known as Marella, and a Dex who doesn't even remember that he is a Dex.  We've also got a miserable Linh, an annoyingly positive in the face of danger Sophie, a Fitz who does nothing but comfort Sophie and a Keefe. 

We're so screwed. 

I was sitting on an empty hospital bed next to my sister, who I could tell was trying to restrain back tears. She had always been close with Marella and Dex, being the fact that she always trained with Marella, and Marella was always over at Dex's place. 

I stared at the scene unfolding in front of me, when Marella discovered that Dex truly had no recollection of anything. It was pretty obvious that Marella and Dex cared about each other in a much bigger way than either of them thought, and the miserable, broken-down Marella in front of me might have finally realized that. 

But it was too late. 

Wasn't it always too late? Too late to save Biana from the clutches of the Neverseen, too late to save Dex from the Washing that everyone had thought was a good idea, too late to protect my sister, too late to save Kesler, too late for everything. Like the world, wanted to play some cruel joke on us. 

"Ok guys," Sophie said, gesturing us over. I reluctantly pulled myself of the bed, grabbed Linh's hand and we walked toward the group together. "What do we do about the Dex situation?"

"He's not a situation!" Marella barked furiously at Sophie. The broken down girl was gone, and the fire was back.  

Sophie's eyes widened at Marella and she reflexively took a step back. " I didn't mean anything by it Marella, I swear..." 

"Of course you don't mean anything!" Marella yelled, tears glistening in her icy eyes. "You don't know what it is like! Imagine you just woke up, and you don't remember anything, and there's a bunch of strangers standing around you, and you're confused and scared, and you don' know anything! And...and, you're just treating it like...like he's some burden, a problem in your perfect plans, and you don't get it! You just don't!" 

"Marella, Sophie never meant anything-" Fitz started, but Sophie raised a hand, and silenced him. She then looked at Marella. Marella glared back. 

"I'm sorry, and I shouldn't have said that," Sophie said in one quick breath. "But you shouldn't lash out either Marella. We're all trying to help Dex here."  

"And Biana," Keefe, Fitz and I said at the same time.  

"And Biana," Sophie agreed. "I guess we should probably go to Dex and at least introduce ourselves, I mean, he's probably confused." 

"He's probably really confused," Keefe added. 

"He's listening to you guys right now and wondering why you guys are talking about him in such a sympathetic, baby-like voice."