Chapter 16

Dex P.O.V 

You know that feeling when you have absolutely no idea what the heck is going on and you are seriously regretting all of your decisions but you keep going because you just have this gut feeling that if you don't then the world might actually fall into a pit of misery and gloom? 

Anyone ever felt that before? 

Nope, just me? That's just great. 

I almost regretted my decision to come with the group and save whoever this Biana girl was, and find whoever Tam and Keefe were, but to be honest, the real reason I wanted to come was not because of bravery or courage or anything like that. In fact, the real reason was that I was curious.

I really wanted to know who the Neverseen were, and what they looked like, and acted like. I wanted to know how we were supposed to work on missions and stuff like this, and mainly I was curious to see why I was friends with people that carried so much emotional baggage with them.  

The blond girl, Sophie, who everyone seemed to address as the "leader" of the group, (but to be honest I didn't really see why), stopped in her tracks as the footprints we had been following stopped. 

I stopped also, and Marella, who had been behind me, didn't stop and slammed into my back. I jerked forward from the impact and plowed into Sophie, who landed face down into a pile of mud. A/N Ok, it felt really nice to write Sophie falling face first into mud.

"Sorry!" Marella said to me and Sophie, but mostly to Sophie, who was getting helped out of the mud by Fitz. Linh flicked her hands in Sophie's direction and her face was hit with a blast of water. The mud was gone, but now she was really wet and dripping water everywhere. 

"It's ok," I replied to Marella who was still trying to say sorry to Sophie. "There was really no harm done." 

"Thanks for trying to make me feel better," Marella said to me. "But I know I screwed a lot of things up. Now Sophie's gonna be cold and the night is falling." 

The sky had been darkening the entire time during this incident, and by the time we realized, it was already nighttime. Sophie was shivering under Fitz's cloak, whom Fitz had given her sometime during this, and Linh had been trying to soak the moisture out of Sophie's clothes and hair. 

"Marella?" Fitz asked from his position next to Sophie. "A fire please? We brought you along for flames, so get cracking." 

"Gotcha," Marella said determinedly, rubbing her hands together to generate warmth. Hands shaking, she flicked them toward a pile of wood that Linh had set up near Sophie in the corner. 

Light flames poured out of her hands and set the wood pile ablaze. It was a small nightlight in the dark forest and we were all grateful for it. Quickly, we all moved towards the fire, but Fitz and Sophie arrived there first. Fitz pushed Sophie directly in front of our makeshift campfire so that she would get the most warmth, and he then sat himself right next to her taking up most of the space around the fire, and then they began whispering conspiratorially. I caught whispers of "she shouldn't be here" and "neither should he" and some stuff like "I'll take care of you I promise" and "I'll always be here". More then slightly grossed out, I turned to where Marella was sitting, far away from the fire against a tree, shivering in the cold. 

I had just taken my cloak of to give it to Sophie, (who was still shivering dramatically) but then turned towards Marella and handed it to her. She looked surprised and started to push it away claiming that "I am the fire girl and I don't need a cloak, now give it Sophie or Linh if you don't want it before I burn your hair off."