Chapter 4

Tam P.O.V 

After finishing my call with Biana, I sat down on the small couch in our room and sighed. Why, oh why was I obsessed? Couldn't I just move on? 

I thought about our call. Then I remembered Biana making Linh upset. "Linh!" I called, waiting for her response. 

"In here!" Linh called out. 

I listened to her sounds. It didn't seem like she was crying, which was a good thing. But, it was unusual how Linh hadn't cried when Biana had made her upset. It was also strange that Linh wasn't in her room where she usually stayed when I was making Imparter calls. 

I opened the door and found Linh crouched in a corner, staring at the wall. I walked into the room and shut the door behind me. 

"Linh?" I asked quietly. "What's wrong?" 

"Tam?" Linh said, surprised. 

"Yeah, it's me," I said. "Now, tell me what's wrong!" 

Linh sighed. "It's just that I keep repeating what Biana said to me over and over in my head. And, I don't know, but I feel like she's right!" 

"What did Biana say?" I asked. 

"She said that we were lucky because nobody we really cared about had died in the war between the Black Swan and the Neverseen. Isn't she right? I mean, we don't know anybody really well," Linh said. 

"That's wrong!" I protested. "Tiergan was our mentor and our new guardian! We cared about him and we knew him well!" 

"Besides him though?" Linh asked. 

"Well, I don't know," I said finally, sitting down next to her. 

"I always feel so excluded from the group!" Linh said. "I mean, Sophie, Biana, Dex, Keefe, and Fitz have been together for so, so long and we have been around for so little! We're like the 6th and 7th wheel!" 

I sighed and thought about what Linh said. It was true if I really wanted to be honest, which I didn't. Biana had been really good friends with Keefe ever since Keefe and Fitz met when they were eleven. It was also pretty obvious that Biana liked Keefe back then, and would she really stop liking Keefe for me? I didn't think so! 

"Even if we are the sixth or seventh wheel, at least we are a wheel! We used to be broken wheels, laying in the dust alone and broken. Then, they picked us up and fixed us! We should be grateful!" I said. 

Linh laughed, but it sounded forced and unnatural. "Tammy!" she said. "Stop using wheel metaphors! It's getting a little bit strange!" 

I forced out a laugh, sensing that things were getting a little bit too deep and that sometimes you just needed a laugh to lighten things up. 

"Linh?" I asked. "Why are you in here?" 

Linh looked around as if seeing her surroundings for the first time. "What do you mean why I am in here? It's my house too!" 

"It's just that you never go in here!" 

Linh laughed. "Tam!" she said. "Do you really think that I tell you absolutely everything I do and everything that happens in my life? No! I have things I keep to myself and I'm not going to tell you everything that happens! I go in here all the time! You just never realize!" 

I paused and turned. "Wait..you DON'T tell me everything! That means you could have a crush! Linh! Crushes are bad for you and as your older brother I deserve to kno-" 

"For one Tam, you aren't my older brother, we're twins. For two, you have a crush so you cannot say that crushes are bad for you!" Linh said. 

I groaned. "LINH! For one, how do you know I have a crush? For all you know, I might not!" 

Linh rolled her eyes. "It's pretty obvious that you have a crush on-" 

"On who?" I said, starting to sound demanding. "On WHO?" 

"Marella." 

I paused. I did NOT expect her to say that. "Wait..." I said. "Marella? As in, I will burn your bangs off of your forehead Marella?" 

Linh rolled her eyes. "Yeah it's totally Marella," she said. "NO! Of COURSE, it's not Marella! I'M BEING SARCASTIC CAN'T YOU TELL!?" 

"Linh, you are really bad at being sarcastic." 

Just as she was about to laugh, the door burst open and revealed a worried looking Keefe and a very angry looking Fitz. 

"WHERE DID YOU STASH MY SISTER?!" Fitz yelled, glaring around the room and peeking inside drawers even though Biana would be way too small to "stash" in there. 

"Calm down Fitzy!" Keefe said though he was obviously worried too. "We came here to ask, not to threaten!" 

Linh stood up in between me and Fitz. "What do you mean where's Biana? She's at your house, just like she's supposed to be!" 

"Did you leave her alone?" I asked, standing up next to Linh shooting her a dirty look. I did not need Linh to protect me from anything. It was supposed to be the other way around!

Keefe nodded. "We did..." he glanced at Fitz. 

"Just for one minute!" Fitz snapped. "We wanted to give you and Biana privacy to talk Tam! But that obviously wasn't the right decision!" 

"You were the last person to talk to her!" Keefe said, elbowing Fitz. ("OW!" Fitz complained.) "We wanted to see if you had any information on her!" 

"I don't!" I said, worriedly. "Where could she have gone?" 

Fitz sighed and sat down on the ground. "I don't know!" he said. Then, he sat up. "But we are going to find her. I've lost so many people, and I will NOT lose my sister." 

"I second that," I said, sitting next to him. 

"Me too," Keefe said. "Let's find her." 

"FOR BIANA!" Linh said. 

"We should go get Sophie and Dex too," Fitz said. "They will be really helpful. Meet you at Everglen in 20 minutes?" 

"Sure!" Linh said. "We'll be there!" 

When Fitz and Keefe left, I sat alone away from Linh, my head in my hands. First, a long time ago, I had let Linh get kidnapped by the Neverseen. Now, I felt like Biana's potential kidnapping was on my hands. I had talked to her last. I had hung up without watching over her. I had left to go find Linh. What if she had called me to try and get help? What if I had ignored her? 

I felt sick to my stomach. Was she being tortured? Was she dying? Was she already dead? I shook my head. No matter what, I was going to find Biana. No matter what.