|77| ~The First Casualties of War ~

Start from the beginning

"Summons," I stop in mid-track, "Are you referring to the summons that Cyrus had to respond to," I whisper into her ear. I'm still learning about how the life of the royals works, but I do know a few things like the classified summons.

It is supposed to be a top-notch royal secret. Although, Anastasia Vlad was not just born into royalty, but also increased her standings in the monarchy thanks to her pairing with the King of all vampire king's cousins. Even still, I'm not sure if she is supposed to know about that one secret.

"Of course, I am," she confirms my suspension before she looks from left to right and then whispers in my ear. "Yes! Embry, I know all about the summons, just like I know all about The King of All King's human beloved, Claire,"

My eyes enlarge. "But don't worry darling, all of the king's secrets are safe with me and my beloved. We are on their side for many reasons and the first one happens to be that we are no fools. Secondly, we wouldn't want to die now would we," she attempts to ensure me with a joke, but something tells me that she isn't joking at all.

"Besides, King Marcellus of Europe just happens to be my first cousin and my favorite cousin at that. He's the one that requested my beloved and I attendance here just so we can look out for you during King Cyrus' brief departure,"

"He did what?" I yelp! Now, why would he do that? I mean, we only met once or twice, I think to myself and my first impression of him was nothing but the fact that he was a foolish flirt.

"Or more like just foolish," my wolf suggests as I ignore her. Either way, it doesn't matter how what we think about him. What matters is why on heavens earth would he care to think anymore about us or our safety.

"Because you are family now, silly," explains Anastasia with a smile. "And one thing that I've learned about all of the kings is that family means everything to them, and I'm not talking about the family that they were born into at all. I'm referring to the family that they created. The one that they have formed through bond and loyalty," she pauses for just a second,"

"You might have lost the family that you were born into by accepting your bond with King Cyrus, but you gained an entirely new one, who is ten times more deadly, trust me," she says before looping her arm with my own, pulling me throughout the ballroom.

"Just look at it like this, you have inherited seven deadly brothers, and trust me when I say that they are all just as bad as they say that they are when it comes to any of the safety of their loved ones, especially one of their brothers beloved," she adds in, leaving me completely speechless.

Cyrus POV

Cyrus POV.

Nicklaus and I've settled our differences for now but things are far from over between us two. I mean yes, I have pledged my loyalty to  Claire and him but I still don't trust him and I'm sure that he doesn't just willing trust me as well and my mind still hasn't changed about giving up my crown. Once, I return to my Kingdom, Embry and I are getting the fuck out of dodge.