one

* thank you for all the support so far - we hit 3.3k reads! keep commenting and voting, i love seeing what you think of this story! *

all chapters from this point onwards will be written from mila's perspective and in the present day. third person chapters will return at a later point in the story, of which you will be notified.

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

"The most wonderful time of the year." I exhaled as I opened the curtains of my childhood bedroom, admiring the soft blue sky and the cold winter sun which shone down on the grass in the back garden. My family and I were back in our second home, the one I grew up in, in Glastonbury. It was Christmas Day and Lando's family were all heading over to our place, where we would celebrate together. I couldn't wait. Lando and I planned to tell everyone about my new job role at McLaren. I knew how excited they would be.

"Mils, are you awake?" My brother knocked on my bedroom door and I found myself smiling like a maniac at the sound of his voice. He was finally home for Christmas and being able to spend time with him made me the happiest girl in the world. I loved Micah with all of my heart and I was so proud of the person he'd become. He was open about everything, including his sexuality, and I was so pleased for him, knowing that he'd finally found someone he loved so much, someone whom my family brought into our home like he was our own. Micah's boyfriend, Elijah, was so lovely. He was quiet and shy at first, but after six months of dating my brother and being welcomed into our crazy family, he'd totally pushed his way from his shell. He was arriving at our house from his parents place in London at around two this afternoon.

"Yes, Micah," I smiled to myself when I heard my bedroom door open, my brother entering with a smile on his face. He was dressed in a black tracksuit, whilst I wore one of Lando's t-shirts and a pair of grey joggers. This one t-shirt was left here by mistake and I made my best friend aware of it, although I made absolutely zero effort to return it. It looked better on me anyway. "Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas, Mils." Micah wrapped his arms around me and lifted me up, allowing me to wrap my legs around his slim waist. It was early, only seven forty five A.M., but getting up at such an early hour on Christmas Day was a tradition my family always stuck to. It allowed us to eat dad's famous Christmas breakfast together, which comprised of pancakes and waffles with so many toppings, before we all showered and got ourselves ready for the rest of the day. With the Norris' planning to arrive at eleven, we had three hours to eat and get dressed. I couldn't wait to see Lando.

Whilst I was still in his arms, Micah navigated his way out of my bedroom and headed downstairs, where our parents were waiting for us in the front room. I loved Christmas. There was nothing better than spending time with my family. I loved them so much. I was so grateful for my mum, dad and Micah, more than they would ever realise. Growing up with aortic stenosis was difficult, especially when I was a little girl, but, as a result of their love and their support, I'd learnt how to cope with it. I had Lando and his family too, which only made my process easier. I just felt like the luckiest girl in the world. I was surrounded by amazing people. I was about to start my dream job alongside my best friend. I couldn't wait. Twenty nineteen was going to be mine and Lando's best year yet.

"Merry Christmas, my darling babies." Mum wrapped her arms around Micah and I as we entered the front room. I inhaled the sweet scent of her lingering perfume which rested on the soft material of her silk dressing gown. I thought my mum was beautiful and I hoped that if I hit her age, I looked like her.

"Merry Christmas, mum," I smiled, feeling Micah's arm secure around my waist. Dad cleared his throat and I knew he was standing behind us, most likely feeling impatient because we were yet to greet him. "And merry Christmas to you, too, dad."