forty two

* a new chapter... already? go me. i hope you are all staying safe and keeping well! thank you for being so supportive and sticking around! it means so much to me. don't forget to engage with your comments and votes! i appreciate it lots and i promise to reply to as many people as i can!! i love reading your comments just as much as i love writing about mila and lando. enjoy!! <3 *

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

The beeping was so monotonous that it hurt my ears. It didn't really help my irritable mood. Despite just stirring from a dark slumber, I still felt tired. I couldn't be surprised after everything I'd been through over the past few days. The stress I'd unnecessarily placed on my heart wasn't just unfair mentally, it impacted me physically.

I felt a hand between mine. The warmth was reassuring. Initially, I couldn't register who it was or even who it could be. The last thing I remembered was being in Micah's arms while gasping for air and trying not to let go. It was hard to stay awake, even with the sound of his voice in my ear.

My eyes peeled open. They were sore because of how tired I felt. Exhaustion had well and truly taken over my body. I was completely wiped out by whatever the hell was happening to my body.

When I saw my brother sitting next to the bed, I felt a weight lifting from my shoulders. He smiled when our eyes connected.

"Hey," he smiled, standing up so that his face was closer to mine, allowing him to kiss my forehead. It was the comfort I needed. I looked around the room to see if anyone else was with us. Lando in particular. "You're awake. I'm so pleased."

It was obvious that Micah was feeling overwhelmed. His eyes were red and puffy, probably from crying, and it reminded me of that day I returned home from France and saw him on the sofa, breaking his heart crying because he discovered Elijah in bed with another man.

"I was so scared, Mila," he shook his head as a tear slipped from his eye. My hand was heavy and limp, but I still managed to lift it and brush the tear away, not wanting to see him cry. I realised he remembered the ordeal better than I did. "I thought you were going to die in my arms. I've never been that scared."

"I'm sorry," croaking, I realised just how dry my mouth was and I wondered how long I'd been asleep for. It was light outside, so either only a few hours, or for an entire day. "I didn't mean to hurt you. I'm sorry for everything."

"For everything?" He raised an eyebrow and I sighed, trying to find the words to explain everything, but I didn't really have the strength.

I was saved by the door opening, and Cyrus walked in. Expecting to see him with a sad look on his face, preparing to share the bad news, I was surprised when he seemed calm and relaxed, a wide smile on his face.

"Ah, Mila, it's so good to see you awake," he came to my side and glanced at the machines beside me. "You were unconscious when you arrived. How are you feeling now?"

"Alright." I shrugged my shoulders.

I wanted to know why I wasn't responsive when I arrived here. Whether I'd passed out or something else. This was the second time in a matter of days that I'd been unconscious for a period which wasn't sleep.

"I think you were just sleeping, to be honest," Cyrus knew me well. He knew my condition well. He was one of dad's closest friends and had the job of looking after me his entire life. "I think the exhaustion wiped you out."

I remembered the feeling which seared through my chest and my arms, how I honestly believed I was having a heart attack. Never in my life had I felt so scared to be alone as I stumbled along the pavement towards my parents' front door.