03

* i really appreciate all the love so far on this story!! thank you so much! please vote and comment throughout - it means so much to me <3 *

03 || 01/07/2006

"Lando! You have flour on your nose!" Mila's high pitched giggle filled the kitchen as she clapped her hands together, only sending more flour into the air. Together with Micah and Mandy, Mila and Lando were baking chocolate chip cookies. "You look so cute."

"I am always cute!" Lando pursed his lips together into a pout, folding his arms across his chest. Amanda rolled her eyes, smiling to herself at the sheer levels of cuteness and innocence before her. Like Cisca, she adored the relationship between their children. Seeing Mila happy was all both her and Mark wanted after everything their baby girl had experienced and Lando brought her so much happiness. "Shut up, Milly! You're just jealous because I'm cuter than you!"

"No you are not!" Mila folded her arms across her chest, covering her small purple apron in flour and grease from the butter which was included in their cookie mix.

"Yes I am!" Lando stuck his bottom lip out and his eyebrows knitted together. Mila turned away from her best friend and looked at her brother, who was giggling to himself whilst she continued to stir the mixture. She was struggling as the dough began to form into a firm ball, but she didn't want to give up. She wanted to show the boys how strong she was.

"Lando, Mila, stop bickering," Mandy laughed as she took the bowl from her daughter and removed the wooden spoon, reaching for the electric whisk. "Both of you, wash your hands properly to get rid of all this flour."

Mila did as her mum asked as she stepped down from her stool, Lando copying her actions as they both headed towards the sink. Lando waited patiently for his best friend to ensure her hands were clean before he stepped up to the sink and washed his with warm water and soap. Even though they bickered like an old married couple, according to their parents, Lando just wanted the best for Milly. She meant a lot to him and her story made him realise just how precious life was and that he was lucky to have such a brave best friend. He loved everything about her.

"You are cute, Milly." Lando admitted shyly, with warm, red cheeks as he dried his hands slowly with the soft towel. Mila stood beside him, doing the exact same, smiling to herself as she listened carefully to his words. She noticed that Lando was chewing down on his lip as he waited for her to finish drying her hands. Immediately, she sensed that something was wrong.

"What's the matter, Land?" She lifted her dainty fingers to his cheekbone and softly caressed the skin. Even for a six year old, Mila was very soft, caring and attentive when it came to showing Lando how much she loved and cared for him. Naturally, she was a very affectionate person and that was no different when it came to her best friend. If anything, she wanted to show him more love.

"I'm okay, Milly," he nodded as he placed the towel over the hook before reaching for her hands. Mila looked at him, quizzically, but she believed him because Lando was not a liar. "I promise."

Mila nodded, taking Lando's hand between hers and dragging him back towards where her mum and Micah were standing. The cookies were coming along nicely, the mixture finally all prepared and ready to be moulded into small circular pieces of dough. Mila's stomach grumbled at the thought of devouring such a wonderful delicacy. She couldn't wait to sit down for dinner with her family and Lando whilst knowing that such a delicious dessert was waiting for her.

Mila was pleased knowing it was summer. She didn't have to go to school and be around people she didn't like. She had all the time in the world to spend with her best friend, making brand new memories which would stay with them forever. There was no such thing as schoolwork whilst they were together at home, swapping between houses but still cherishing every single second. Just like Mila, Lando adored the summer holidays. The weather was always lovely, apart from the odd few rainy days, but the sun meant that they could play outside in the garden for as long as their bodies would allow them to. Lando knew that Mila couldn't play tag or chase like him, because her heart was fragile compared to his, and he felt that it was his duty to look after her. Instead, they coloured in whilst lying on the grass and completed jigsaw puzzles, before having a tea party with all of Mila's dolls and cuddly bears. Lando loved every single second, and he was allowed to be active if he felt like it; Mila would always count how long it took for Lando to run a certain distance. She said it would help him become an athlete. She knew that he wanted to be an athlete when he was older.