thirty four

*hi. sorry for the delay in uploading. please be sure to stick around for the note at the end of this chapter - it's important, you shouldn't miss it. anyway, our favourite couple are back and as always, i hope you enjoy reading. don't forget to engage - the numbers on this story are MAD and they go up each and every day! that's all down to you, so thank you! please keep it coming. i love reading your comments. enjoy!!! <3 *

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

"Are you nervous?" Mum peered into the McLaren from the open door, as Lando was securing his seatbelt. I was sitting beside him, my heart in my mouth, seconds away from our hot lap. In response to mum, I just shrugged my shoulders because I wanted to keep my cool, when I was actually biting the inside of my cheek to keep my nerves at bay. "Oh, you'll have so much fun. Lando will look after you. He knows what he's doing."

"Your mum is right," Lando placed a hand on my knee. "I've done this so many times now. And it's different with you. My priority is to keep you safe, in a different way to someone else who I might drive a hot lap with in this car. It's fun. I promise."

The heat was absolutely sweltering at Silverstone today. I loved the sunshine, especially when my skin tanned so perfectly in the heat and I looked like I'd spent a week on holiday in Spain. Although, being at work meant I was restricted to wearing team wear; a shirt and trousers wasn't really the correct attire to choose when spending time in the sun.

Mum closed the door after taking a picture of Lando and I smiling with our helmets squishing our faces together. One for the photo album, she said. The same photo album she'd been building and building ever since Lando and I were babies.

Lando slipped his hand between mine for a second, a smile lifting on his face as he gave me a reassuring nod. I trusted him. I knew we were about to have so much fun, and this would be the best lap of Lando's life, mostly because I was sitting by his side.

"Tell me if you want me to slow down," he was just looking out for me and that meant checking up on me constantly. I didn't find it annoying. "But, you'll be too engrossed in how amazing it feels to even want me to slow down."

Lando waited for his signal to go.

I wanted to hold his hand, but I was also terrified to see him let go of the wheel. For so long, I'd thought about what it would really be like to sit beside my best friend and have him take me on a hot lap of Silverstone. It only felt right for it to be here, at our home Grand Prix. However, I never expected us to be together when it came round. In all honesty, I never expected us to be together at all. I couldn't find the words to explain how it made me feel to have my best friend sitting beside me, about to take me on what literally would be the lap of my life.

Tentatively, Lando placed his foot on the accelerator, before flooring the car and sending us flying from the initial grid spot. I let out a squeal in response, adrenaline already racing through my veins as I dug my nails into the seat. I noticed Lando looking at me, but I pointed ahead of him, so that his eyes were on the track before us. He couldn't lose focus.

"I can drive a lap of Silverstone in my sleep," Lando scoffed, causing me to roll his eyes as I processed his comment as a form of arrogance. "You shouldn't look so scared."

"I want to go back home in one piece, Lando." I couldn't even fold my arms across my chest.

The feeling of being driven at this speed was exhilarating. Having Lando beside me and experiencing this with me made the moment all the more special. I forced my glance away from the asphalt before us and I looked at Lando instead. Beautiful, delightful Lando, in all his glory and doing what he loved the most. His brows furrowed as concentration washed over him.