forty four

* here is my Christmas present to all of you - my lovely readers! this story is my absolute favourite to write and we keep hitting such amazing milestones. i still can't believe we're at over one hundred thousand reads! that's crazy! so thank you so much for your continued support <3 it means everything and more to me! please engage as much as you can with this chapter - there's a question at the end which i really want you to answer... hehe ;) enjoy! *

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

"It crushes me to see her like that," I didn't intend to overhear my brother's conversation, but as I passed his room, it wasn't difficult. I stopped, and stood quietly outside his door, instead of continuing to my bedroom where Lando was waiting for me. "She's so upset because of what she goes through, and she's so brave. I just wish she knew how brave she is. I just wish I could help her."

I didn't hear any response, assuming my brother had his AirPods in while speaking on the phone to who I could only assume to be Ivo. Micah seemed to be growing ever closer to the boy he met in Croatia. He wanted to take things slow, but the pace at which he was moving with Ivo told me that he really had met the right person.

Not wanting to intrude, I held back for a few seconds. However, I couldn't leave my brother upset while knowing what was on his mind. Carefully, I knocked on the door and pushed it open, smiling when I saw my brother with his back to me, his curls darker than usual in the evening sunlight. He ran his fingers through his hair and the metal of the ring on his middle finger caught the light, bouncing between the walls momentarily. Since Micah had his AirPods in, he didn't hear me entering his room, and it wasn't until I caught sight of the boy on his phone screen smiling that I realised Micah knew of my presence.

Seeing my brother smile at me made my heart swell, and he gently patted the space beside him on his duvet. Dressed in an oversized hoodie and a pair of cotton shorts, Micah looked cosy and all I wanted was to cuddle him. He plucked his AirPods from his ears as I sat down.

"Mila, meet Ivo," I noticed Micah's rosy cheeks as he pointed at the phone and I looked at the boy who smiled back at me, shyly. His blue eyes struck me first, as he ran his fingers through his dirty blonde hair. "Ivo, this is my little sister, Mila."

"Hi," politely, I waved the boy who was responsible for making my brother so happy. "It's nice to meet you! Virtually."

Ivo chuckled, "I'm sure I'll meet you properly soon. Micah has told me a lot about you."

"He's told me lots about you, too," I wiggled my eyebrows, before glancing at my brother with a smug smile on my lips. He pushed my shoulder. "You seem to be good for him. And he deserves that."

"Mila!" Micah nudged me in the side and he glared at me, telling me to shut up, telepathically. I shrugged my shoulders innocently.

"Sorry, I'm just protective," I sighed. "You know, like how you're protective over me?"

"How are you feeling, Mila?" Ivo interrupted mine and Micah's glaring contest and I pushed my brother to the side, taking his phone into my hands. This boy was cute, and I could see exactly why Micah liked him, and why he was absolutely nothing like Elijah.

"Much better, thank you," I nodded, not wanting to think about my time in hospital for a second too long. I felt better for opening up to mum - a whole weight had lifted off of my shoulders - and I didn't want to feel like that ever again. I wanted to get better. "I'm going home with Lando tonight. I'm looking forward to having some alone time with him. I've neglected him a bit recently so it'll be good to just talk, you know?"