Chapter 40: Fallen Kingdom

Chapter 40

After wishing her knight friend good luck, Elena sprints down to the physician's chambers. She runs through the Phoenix Corridor but comes to a skidding stop as men march in through the way she is hoping to take. Cenred's men have already infiltrated the castle. Elena's panic rises as her breathing becomes laboured. Unsheathing her sword, she holds it in front of her but every single person in the corridor knows it is useless.

Her feet are planted onto the stone ground as the men march towards her, no fear or rush in their movements. Would she fight them? There is no way she would survive.

"Get out of here!"

Three knights run past her, and Elena recognises one of them to be Sir Robert, the one who is telling her to leave. Without hesitation, the three men engage with the immortal men of Cenred's army. Despite the knight's command, Elena still doesn't move, watching as they fight. Sir Robert stabs one of the men – straight through the chest. But Cenred's man just stands there, pulling the sword out and tossing it to the ground. The first knight dies with in a matter of moments and that is enough to break her trance.

Elena turns back the way she came, running now at a full sprint around the castle halls. She takes twists and turns, trying to visualise the castle layout in her head. She needs to get to Gaius. For Merlin.

One hallway has a large hanging tapestry with the Pendragon crest on the wall and Elena runs to it. She pulls to material away from the wall, revealing a servant's tunnel. Elena checks over her shoulder, finding nobody watching but she can hear the final cry of Sir Robert who has sure to have fallen.

Elena closes the door behind her, running through the dark and narrow passageway. She follows it until it ends, opening the door on the other side. Now she is on the opposite side to the physician's chambers, but no enemy has yet to come this far into the castle.

They've come so quickly, so mercilessly that it is terrifying to know that they've breached the citadel in no less than an hour – a feat that has not been done in days let alone minutes. She wonders if Merlin is still watching everything through her eyes, or if he's told Arthur.

Elena continues to sprint through the corridors until she finally reaches Gaius' chamber. She barges in, shutting and locking the door behind her. Gaius is in here, under the order of the King as no infirmary has been set up. Citizens have been ordered to barricade themselves, either in the castle or the lower town with the hopes that Cenred's men would pass them by.

"Elena!" Gaius cries. "What is going on out there!"

Elena swallows, moving back from the door with her sword still clutch tightly under her fingers. She watches the door, almost waiting for someone to dare try and open it. "It's chaos out there Gaius. The lower town has been taken and they're in the castle already." Goosebumps follows a shiver down her spine. She can only hope that Gwen and Esme have found somewhere safe as well. "I want to fight, but there is no point." She closes her eyes, dropping her head. "They don't die." The image of the man pulling the sword from his chest is one of a nightmare, one that she will not easily forget.

"I fear that Camelot is already lost then," Gaius says, coming to stand next to the girl as she continues to stare at the door.

"At least Merlin and Arthur are not here. And for their sakes, I hope they are too late," she mumbles, finally turning away from the door. "We need to barricade ourselves, it's the only chance we have."

A strangled cry echoes down the hall to the physician and seamstress' ears. Their heads don't move but they share a glance. "Let's hurry," Gaius instructs.

Gaius and Elena find a few pieces of furniture, moving it in front of the door which is still locked. Elena's guilt rises, realising they are blocking out anybody that may need refuge or medical help as well but if they leave the path clear for their own, they risk opening themselves to an attack as well. A hard, but straightforward decision.