Chapter 5: A Moment Shared

Chapter 5

My eyes open again on their own accord, and it feels like only seconds have passed but I'm welcomed by a new sight. Gaius leans over me, an empty vial in his hands. I swallow down the rest of what's in my mouth, sitting back up.

"Elena, what happened?"

My hand rubs my forehead, a slight headache thumping behind the skin. "Morgana," I grunt. "She was here."

"The guard is dead," Gaius says, looking back over his shoulder. I sigh, propping my head back against the wall.

"I'm sure she knocked me out, but I didn't see her use any magic." I notice the lack of warlock in the room. "Where's Merlin?"

"He's running an errand for me. He'll be back soon."

"I'm certain it's Morgana," I tell him, urgency seeping through. "She's doing something to Uther."

"Do you know how?" I shake my head. "Then I'm afraid we can't do much but try and figure out how to stop it. Uther dotes on her every word."

"I'll wait for Merlin to come back. I'll see if he's got any ideas," I murmur, pulling myself up to my feet.

"Alright, but don't strain yourself, I'm not sure what she's done to you," he warns, also rising to his feet.

I wait around with Gaius and for a while, I think it's just one of those days where the time seems to not move at all but as I look out the window, my heart sinks, seeing the sun lower than before.

"He's not back," I say to Gaius who is equally as concerned but hasn't said anything yet. "I'm going to look for him."

"I think that's a good idea," he notes, taking a moment to look away from his work that he's dug himself into, likely to distract his mind.

I walk out of the chambers, still feeling a little dizzy but it's wearing off more every moment. I close my eyes, seeking out the pull. Even though we're not bonded, it's like a compass inside me, pulling towards him. Like an instinct, or the things birds have to migrate.

But I don't feel it, meaning he's not anywhere near where I am. I open my eyes again, looking up and down the corridor I'm in with no idea which way to go. I figure I should start with where he was headed which is the King's chambers.

I knock on the door, but nobody answers so I peek my head through. Uther is fast asleep on his bed, and a small vial rests on his draws. So, Merlin was here.

I close the door as I exit back out in the hallway. The next guess would be Arthur's chambers, so I let my feet drag me there. The question of Morgana's whereabouts also pops into my mind but I'm hoping that she's in her own room with Gwen, getting ready for bed.

I knock on Arthur's door, waiting for the all-clear to enter. I move into his chambers, closing the door right behind me. I search the room but there's no Merlin is sight. Even Arthur isn't visible until he appears from behind his screen.

"And here I was, hoping Merlin had learnt how to knock," he calls from the other side of his room. I huff at the accuracy of the statement.

"I'm guessing you haven't seen Merlin then," I assume.

"No. Are you looking for him?" he asks, pulling on a shirt as he walks over to me. I stride forward, meeting him in the middle.

"Yes actually, I just wanted to talk to him, but he's disappeared."

"Sounds about right," the Prince rolls his eyes. He sits on his table, folding his arms. "You look a little peaky? Are you feeling alright?"

"Yeah," I mutter, rubbing my head. "It's nothing." For the most part anyways, it's wearing off. Whatever 'it' is.