Chapter 21: Torn Dresses

Chapter 21

Once night falls I figure I should leave my room and it would be safe enough to go to Merlin's without the risk of running into too many people. People see that you're sad, and regardless of whether they know you or not, they either give you pitying or judgemental looks and I'm not prepared to deal with any of them. Not when Morgana's birthday feast it tomorrow and I am expected to put on my best face.

We sit in Gaius' chambers; the low light of the room only kept a bay by two candles at the table. Merlin still hasn't improved which worries me. I debate questioning him but eventually, he brings it up himself. I silently listen as he explains the visions he saw in the crystals, prophecies of the future that may or may not come to pass.

"I can't get these visions out of my head," he admits. Sitting next to him, I reach out around his back, offering any sort of comfort that I can.

"You are extremely lucky to have seen the Crystal Cave," Gaius says. "Even before the Great Purge wizards would talk about it with reverence."

"That man who led me there, who is he?"

"Taliesin, wasn't it?" I question, barely remembering the man's face and Merlin nods. Gaius scoffs.

"Who was he? He died, I'd say about three hundred years ago." That is not what I was expecting at all. "Taliesin was a seer to the great kings of old. It is said that the Crystal Cave was the source of his prophecies."

"But he told me...He said there was a reason I was brought there at this moment in time. Why? It must mean the events I saw are imminent. Morgana is going to kill Uther."

"Look, I don't believe in fate, but there are some things that have proven to be very coincidental. I was brought back here for one reason or another for a purpose, so I believe him when he says there's a reason."

"That may be so, Elena," Gaius says. "But the Crystals are treacherous. What you saw may not be all that it seemed."

"So what? He does nothing?" I scoff. "He saw the possible future, Gaius. That not just something you should ignore."

"I don't think you should ignore it," he protests in warning. "But is there anything to suggest it is imminent?"

I look to Merlin who shakes his head. "No."

"So, I wouldn't let it put you off your soup."

"No, you're right," Merlin submits.

"Come on, eat up."

"What is it?"

"Sometimes it's best not to know."

Merlin and Gaius eventually wander off to bed and I follow Merlin, wanting to speak to him alone. I sit on his bed while he takes off his boots and jacket. The bed sinks as he sits down next to me and I get the courage to speak.

"Merlin, if you feel like you need to do something, I think you should," I say. "Gaius loves you, but his main priority is keeping you safe. And I'm not saying that isn't mine – because it is. I want nothing more in the world than to let you live the rest of your life in peace, but I know that sometimes you need to do things that aren't."

"So, what should I do then?"

"Keep your eyes open," I offer, leaning into him. "Tell me. Don't leave me in the dark. I'm not saying what you saw is definitely going to happen, or even soon but I think there's a great chance that it will."

"I will," he agrees. "And Gaius may be right, there might not be anything to worry about."

"Of course," I smile, not wanting him to worry more, only to know that he has someone supporting him fully. "Just do what you normally do, Merlin. Serve that dollophead and save his life every now and then."