Chapter 24: Resilient

Chapter 24

Merlin and I wait until the cover of darkness but not too late as watching them sleep would likely prove pointless. We get to their chambers and we look around for something to let us look in. I spot a grate up on the wall and point it out to Merlin. Taking the lead, he steps on a table just under it, peering through the gap.

I stand behind him, not trusting the stability of the furniture, ready to catch him if he falls but my head continuously turns down both ends of the corridor, acting as the lookout. While I am distracted by a possible person, a heavy weight falls onto me. I grunt, my hands moving in front of me as some squishes my face.

The table has tipped, and Merlin behind has landed on me. Using me as leverage, Merlin jumps off the leaning table back onto the ground. Heavy footsteps sound from under the door and we both take off, not looking back.

We don't stop running until we reach Gaius' chamber. As we slow to a walk just outside the door, Merlin turns to me, looking at my face oddly.

"Why is one side of you face all red?" he asks. I glare at him in a deadpan.

"Because you sat on me," I grunt, opening the door.

"Sorry," he apologises bashfully. Gaius is up and still waiting for us. "You were right. Poor girl, no wonder she's got a wind problem. You should see what she's got trapped inside her. We have to tell the King."

"Tell the king that's his mate's daughter is actually part fairy? Merlin have you learned nothing over the years," I ask, sitting down at the table with Gaius. "Proof, proof, proof. Or do it all ourselves and they remain none the wiser."

"Elena is right," Gaius agrees.

"But Uther wants Arthur to marry her."

"Then we don't have much time. We have to find a spell that will force the fairy out of her."

"I don't know anything about Sidhe magic," Merlin counters.

"Then it's time we learned."

Gaius sets a heavy book down in front of both Merlin and I. I look at it with disdain, opening it up to the first page. I can barely read the words. They're not blurry or anything but I just can't read them. Even concentrating I have to stare at each word until it actually registers in my brain what the letters are. This is going to be a very long and painful night.

Xx

I've been reading over the same paragraph for the last half hour, hoping that my book doesn't have the answer we need because I'm just not getting anywhere.

"I think my brain is going to burst, and my eyes just pop out of their sockets," Merlin complains, and I wholeheartedly agree. It's like trying to read cursive that you've never trained in.

"Now, don't make a mess over this one," Gaius warns. I lift my head from the table in interest.

"Why? Is it any more useful than any of the others?"

"It's the last one we looked at, and by the ancient law of Sod, it must provide the answer."

"The ancient law of what now?" I ask tiredly.

"There is this potion, created long ago by the witches of Meredor, which if I'm right, will force the fairy out of the girl." He sighs as he reads the potion. "I've no idea how to make it. I've no idea what a lot of these ingredients are."

"Does this mean more research?" I groan. "Because at this point words are even a thing in my brain.

Xx