Chapter 3: A Ghost in the Well

Chapter 3

I rest against a wall near the training grounds, watching Arthur fight off two opponents blindfolded. At first, I roll my eyes at his typical show-off nature but as I keep watching, I'm actually a little impressed about how well he is doing.

Merlin is nearby, polishing something or other with the Prince's weapon pile. I think it's one of those days where he spends more time showboating then actually training. Usually, I'm here when I'm bored, or to just watch for some techniques but this is actually more entertaining than I thought.

"Let's change weapons," he calls over to Merlin. I don't hear their conversation, but I start to walk over, wanting to give Merlin the company – and company for myself. As I arrive, Arthur walks away not yet having noticed me.

"I'm not going to use the blindfold; I'm just going to fight like Merlin." He shrinks himself, adding a theatrical whimper. 'I'm Merlin, don't hurt me'." I stand next to Merlin who rolls his eyes. "Ready?"

He turns around, readying himself to fight two opponents when I notice his eyes notice me. I raise my brow, slightly tilting my head at his behaviour. He turns back away, not letting my look affect him.

The fight begins, and like usual, he is skilled enough to take them both on. I nudge Merlin in his side, and I lean over to him.

"There's a nice pile of mud over there," I muse, gesturing to the wet, brown ground just to the side of the grassy area they fight. Merlin's eyes flicker from me to Arthur, a small smile threatening his lips.

His eyes glow gold and I watch in amusement as Arthur's sword flies from his hand. In his distracted state, his opponent swings a mace, hitting him right in the stomach. I wince, not really wanting him to get hurt but the armour should do its job.

The Prince grunts in pain, arms clutching around his stomach and he falls face-first into the mud pile.

"That was better than I thought," Merlin laughs under his breath. I close my eyes, holding my lips between my teeth.

"I'm going to have to leave or else I'm going to laugh way too hard," I say, covering my mouth as a short burst of giggles escape through. Merlin laughs harder and I walk away, glancing back to see Arthur standing, over half his face covered. As I hide my face again, looking at the castle, the laughter finally breaks out.

Xx

"Have you got something for bruising around here?" I ask, rifling through Gaius' shelves as he packs his bag for his nightly rounds.

"Yes, the clear ointment, bottom shelf." I crouch down, running my hand along the shelf's edge until I find it. "May I ask why you need it?"

"Arthur," I answer, standing back up with the ointment in hand. "Got hit pretty bad with a mace today in training. He deserved it but..."

"You still don't want him to be hurt," Gaius finishes.

"Yeah," I agree with a soft laugh. "Merlin is the only pain I want him to have. Although I suppose he is the reason he's in pain right now." I drift off in thought, leaving Gaius with curious eyes but I shake my head. "Where is Merlin anyways? He's usually doing some chores in here around now?"

"I think Arthur must be keeping him busy. There's a feast tonight so he's probably helping them get ready."

"Nobody told me about a feast," I grumble. "Thank you anyways, I should get this to Arthur."

I knock on the Prince's door, the vial clutch in my hands.

"Come in."

I swing the door open, peering around. Arthur is staring out his window, looking down at something. I saunter over to join him, knocking his shoulder lightly in greeting.