Chapter 32: Enchantments

Chapter 32

The morning comes around a lot slower than I am hoping for. My bag is already packed so I sit on my bed, running over what I'm going to say to Merlin. Maybe I should go see Castor as well. My anger at Merlin died down quickly last night, realising the scenario was nobodies' fault by my own. Merlin only wanted to best for Arthur, just as he always does.

My chamber door opens, and I lift my head slightly to see Merlin entering quietly.

"Hey," I greet softly, my head resting in my hands. Merlin strides over to stand in front of me, kneeling down to my height.

"I'm going to do something," is the first thing he says. "I'm not letting you go. Not again."

"I don't think either of us has a choice, Merlin," I reply with a smile that I know doesn't reach my eyes. "This isn't some person framing me. I did exactly what I've been accused of. But how is Arthur?"

Merlin shrugs, resting his elbows on my knees. "He's just as lost as you. He doesn't know what to do." His eyes shift to my pack which is bulging with everything I own. "You're already packed?"

I look at the pack as well, figuring that I should take some things out to lighten the weight. "I think I'll leave this is afternoon. There's no point sticking around." Merlin shakes his head, standing back up.

"No. Just...wait. Please," he pleas. "Let me try and figure something out."

"I don't see how you could do anything," I remorse. "Why prolong the inevitable?"

"Just let me have time to think."

I sigh, standing to join the warlock. I wrap my hands around his neck, resting my head against his chest. "Thank you, Merlin." Even if I know it is useless, I'm touched by his determination to keep me here. "I will."

Finally, the emotion that I've pushed down inside of me reaches the surface. Merlin's arms circle me as I begin to sob, hiding my face in the fabric of hid blue shirt. "I don't want to go," I wail. I clutch his jacket between my fists, wanting to hold onto something tightly. Merlin doesn't respond for a while. "I'll come back and visit you, even if I have to sneak in. I want to see Gaius too."

"You won't need to sneak around because I'm going to find a way to fix this. It's my fault anyway. You tried to tell me, but I didn't listen," he says remorsefully.

"No." I shake my head, pulling away to sit back down on the bed. "It's nobody's fault." I pause, thinking back to last night. The fire had been a complete accident, but thinking back over it, it was curious that Morgana was there as well. Her smirk. Why would she be happy that I'm caught? There's isn't any threat from me to her, at least not yet. "But...Morgana was there, Merlin."

"Morgana?"

"Yes. A-and I don't know if she had anything to do with it, but she was there, and I don't like it."

Merlin nods slowly, taking the information in. "Just lay low for a while, keep to yourself."

"Alright."

Xx

I do as Merlin says, laying about in my room for most of the day. I don't think I would have left, even if Merlin hadn't advised it. Gossip spreads around the castle like butter on a hot pan and I don't know if I can face the looks and whispers of others, let alone run into Arthur or Uther.

My door opens once again. I don't move, just stay lying horizontally across my bed, peering up and out the window at the blueish sky. Whoever it is, walks over to my bed, sitting down next to me, causing my body to tilt as the mattress sinks.