Chapter 39: Marching

Chapter 39

Castor, Leon, and Elena all huddle around in Leon's room. Elena is very aware of the growing tug to Merlin but every time she asks if they are ok, he sends a brief reply back. Apparently, they have gotten the cup. Today is Leon's last day of bedrest, not that he's needed it, but nobody argues against the well-earned break. Elena laughs loudly at something Castor says, causing a slight twinge in her neck from the bruise but her shoulder is all but fully healed.

Castor balances his chair so it leans back up against a wall, and Leon sits up in his bed, the covers thrown off. Elena sits on the end of the mattress, hoarding the covers that Leon threw her way so she is bundled up in comfort.

Castor soon leaves for his wall duty, leaving Leon and Elena alone again. Leon shuffles over, leaning back against the wall next to Elena. Silently, he takes her right arm, pulling the sleeve of her dress back. Elena doesn't protest, letting him. The material bunches up above her elbow, giving him a full view of the raised skin. He trails his finger over the pattern.

"Did it hurt?" he asks, not lifting his gaze. Elena frowns, broken from her thought.

"Did what hurt?"

"Getting this?"

Elena realises that Leon assumes she has been branded and in an odd sort of way she has been. Just not in the way he's likely imagining. "Yeah, a little."

"You've been hiding this entire time?"

"I didn't want Uther to assume I had magic. Hell, even if he knows I don't I'm still a part of their world."

"Not even Arthur knows?" She shakes her head.

"I know I need to tell him, and I will but just not yet. Not when he hates magic like his father."

"Do you think he would kill you?"

The question is a reality that Elena has tried to ignore the entire time she has been in Camelot. When Arthur was just a friend, she always believed that he would turn her in, and she didn't blame him. Not when Uther is his father and he's been brought up conditioned to believe what he does. But now – would he still subject her to the same fate after everything they've been through together.

"Right now?" She sighs deeply, hating her own words. "Yes. I think he would. Maybe he would ask his father not to execute me, but he wouldn't argue against my banishment."

"I think you judge him wrongly," Leon counters softly. "Because if he feels the same way I have for you, then the thought of sending you away would never pass his mind, let alone killing you." Elena smiles but it doesn't reach her eyes as she stares at the mark.

"Thanks, Leon."

Xx

The next morning, Arthur and Merlin have yet to return and a growing pit settles in her stomach. Uther sends Leon who is back in duty to go out searching for the Prince which great haste and she watches them leave from her window.

"Merlin? What's going on?"

"We lost the cup. Arthur's hurt but he's alive."

"Should I come find you?"

"No, we're coming back to Camelot."

The idea of waiting for them to return with an injured Arthur is not something that sits easy in the mind, but Merlin reassures her that they run into no more trouble. Elena spends her time watching Morgana but she keeps any action of betrayal well hidden as though she knows Elena is watching her.

That night, Leon returns alone, running straight past Elena in the corridor as he goes straight for the Council Chambers. Elena trails after him, not liking the look on his face one bit. Elena stands to the side with Gaius as Leon addresses the King.