Chapter 18: Noble Hearts

Chapter 18

I eat with Gwaine and Gaius down in the physician's chambers. Merlin still isn't back yet. Apparently, Oswald and his companion have been calling for him all afternoon. I grab the bowls, leaving the clean one out for Merlin.

The door opens, a quiet Merlin entering. He's holding one of his hands in the other, a frown set on his face.

"Are you alright, Merlin?" I ask, putting the bowls back down.

"Yeah," he nods. "I just cut myself."

Gaius gathers some of his medical supplies as Gwaine and I walk over to Merlin. I pull his hand away, inspecting the wound.

"How did you get it?"

"A sword," he answers. Gwaine gives Merlin an odd look.

"Swords are sharp, Merlin. I thought you would have known that."

Gaius comes back over, beginning to clean away the wound. Merlin huffs at Gwaine.

"I'm not stupid," he says. "I was in Sir Oswald and Sir Ethan's room and I saw they had two swords for the melee. They looked blunt but when I touched it..." his face grimaces in memory.

I look at the cut, which is a clean slice. Not anything a dull blade could do, even if it was still sharp enough to break the skin.

"That looks like it comes from a sword just sharpened," I note, biting my fingernail.

"You were lucky," Gwaine says. "I've seen those blades in action. They're forged using sorcery."

"What would they want with such a blade?" Gaius asks the thoughts running through my head at the moment.

"I think they mean to kill Arthur in the melee," Merlin answers. I growl lowly.

"I knew something was up with Oswald. He had that glint in his eye today, looked like he wanted to murder Arthur."

"But in front of all those people?" Gaius asks.

"It's the perfect cover," Gwaine counters. "If they succeed, nobody will suspect it was intentional."

"I need to warn Arthur," Merlin announces.

"Merlin, Sir Oswald's a knight. He comes from a well-respected family. You can't accuse him without proof."

"Then we need proof," I say. "Those swords. If we can get our hands on them."

"I'll get it," Gwaine says, stepping forward.

"No, if they catch you, you'll be dead. You don't have any reason to even be near their chambers," I argue, holding his arm.

"Elena's right," Merlin says. "It's safer if I go."

I breathe out through my nose forcefully, not liking the idea of Merlin going either, but he is the best option out of all of us. With nobody arguing, Merlin leaves again, forcing the rest of us to sit and wait patiently. Well, Gaius and I are sitting, used to waiting for these things but Gwaine stands, pacing around.

After some time, my own worry grows, knowing that he should have been back by now if everything went smoothly.

"Merlin should be back by now," Gwaine says, voicing my inner thoughts.

"I agree," I say, pushing myself into a stand. "I'm going to check on him."

"I'm coming."

"Elena, Gwaine!" Gaius calls but we are already leaving.

We jog through the silent castle, Gwaine relying on me to find their chambers. I have no idea which one it actually is but I have a few guesses since I know which are the preferred guest chambers.