Chapter 17: Four Dozen Pickled Eggs

Chapter 17

Gwaine has been drinking a fair bit, enjoying his time in Camelot beyond what I would like of him, but it's not unusual, or anything I haven't seen before. I try to talk into reason, saying he doesn't have money to buy the pickled eggs.

"Gwaine, please. You need to stop," I say to him, feeling horrible for trying to control him after having such a great day. But I don't know he's going to pay for all this.

"It's fine, Ellie," he drawls out drunkenly. "These are my friends! Another round on me boys!" The group of men around him cheer. My forehead thuds against the table, knowing I don't have any power over him right now.

"I need help," I mutter. "I'll be back!" I say to him, struggling to be heard over the sound of the men's cheers. Gwaine waves at me, another tankard handed too him. This is the only side I don't miss to him. It wasn't that he was a horrible person while he was drunk. It was just the fact that he saw it as an escape, one he doesn't want to give up. One that I can't drag him out of.

I rush out of the tavern, clambering all the way back up to the castle. I debate my options, finding them slim to none but I figure Merlin would be the best choice, considering Gwaine is fond of him.

I almost sprint up to his and Gaius' chamber, not wanting to leave Gwaine alone for too long, banging the door against the wall as I open it.

I rush in, Merlin and Gaius at the table eating their dinner.

"Merlin! I need your help." I pause as I scan over Gaius. He has something green splattered over his face. "Gaius?"

"Just Merlin's dinner," he dismisses as Merlin gives a sheepish smile.

"Ok." I shake my head, bringing my attention back to Merlin. "I need your help. He's not listening to me."

"Arthur?"

"No, Gwaine."

Xx

I lead Merlin down to the tavern, opening the door. It's like it is perfectly set up for our arrival. Gwaine slams a tankard on the table, wobbling around as he gets off his seat.

"Merlin!" he exclaims, hanging off a stranger's neck. "Meet my friends!"

I walk over to the innkeeper. "Could I have his bill please." He huffs, handing the literal page of items over to me. My stomach drops, reading over it. I silently hand it over to Merlin who reads over it in disbelief.

"Did you drink all this?" he asks the drunk.

"With some help from my new friends!"

The tavern cheers again. "He doesn't have any money," I say to Merlin. "I tried to stop him, but he wouldn't listen."

"I can't afford this either," he says.

"I know, but I didn't want to go to Arthur. He's going to murder me if I do." My fingernail becomes an outlet of my growing stress, sticking between my teeth. "Let's just get him out of here before he can spend anymore."

"How?"

As though an answer to our prayers, a heavy thump echoes throughout the tavern. We look over to where Gwaine used to stand, finding him unconscious on the floor. I send a silent thanks to the gods as Merlin and I walk over to drag him up and hour of the tavern.

He's heavy, full of alcohol and regret for the oncoming morning.

With an arm over each of our shoulders, we slowly make our way back up to the castle with only a few minor mishaps. My side with the wound burns, not having so much pressure on it since before it happened but I keep that to myself.