Beaches, Bruises and Memories

This is my first Ash and Gladion fanfiction, so be kind. There's also not enough of these two. I don't own Pokemon. Ages: 16-17 years.

Gladion walked along the beach in the early morning, enjoying the crisp morning air. He had just been in a pre-trail with the Totem Pokémon Gumshoos and a grand trial with Kahuna Hala over the past two days. As a result, he successfully obtained a Fightinium Z and Normalium Z crystal.

He looked at Umbreon, smiling softly at the dark type Pokémon as she walked through the sand, occasionally jumping as a wave rolled in. Despite being an elegant dark type, she still had a bit of her playful behaviour from when she was an Eevee. Gladion then looked at Lycanroc to his left, who was walking on the drier sand, avoiding the water at all costs because he was a rock type. Finally, he turned slightly behind him to look at Silvally, blissfully strolling as it enjoyed the air on its face. Gladion couldn't help but feel relief. It made him happy that Silvally could walk around and enjoy the Alola sun and breeze on its face and mane without that awful helmet. Gladion stopped walking and smiled softly with his eyes closed. Everything was peaceful.

"Come on, everyone! Let's go!"

Gladion's eyes shot open in surprise at the sudden yell that broke the air.

I know that yell, he thought as he looked ahead to see where the outcry had come from. Yep, he thought so. There was Ash running laps with his Pikachu, Lycanroc and Torracat. Gladion smiled and shook his head. Of course, he'd run into Ash.

"You all want to see what's going on?" he asked his Pokémon.

Lycanroc, Umbreon and Silvally gave a slight nod, and the four of them jogged to where Ash was. Gladion then stood quietly as he watched. He admired Ash despite being rivals. Ash was very kind and encouraging, not to mention Gladion was super grateful that Ash had worked with, encouraged and helped Lillie get over her fear of touching Pokémon.

"Come on, guys!" Ash panted as he continued running. "We've got to build up our endurance so we can...Gladion?!"

Ash's face filled with joy and excitement as he skidded to a halt, causing Lycanroc, Torracat and Pikachu to crash into him and collapse in a pile on top of each other. Ash froze, eyes wide before relaxing.

"Thanks for not burning us, Torracat," Ash smiled as he reached behind his back to pat his Pokémon. "And thanks for not electrocuting us, buddy. I'm also sorry for causing you guys to crash."

"Pika, pi."

"Roc, roc."

"Torra."

Ash grinned before looking at Gladion, amusement in his eyes. Ash blushed.

"You okay?" Gladion asked, extending his hand to Ash, who happily took it after Pikachu, Lycanroc, and Torracat got off his back. Ash's Lycanroc walked over to Gladion's Lycanroc and rubbed his muzzle against the Midnight form's shoulder, who gently patted the Dusk form on the head. Pikachu started chattering to Umbreon while Torracat and Silvally stared at each other in wonder, fascinated by each other's appearances.

"Yeah, I'm fine," Ash grinned. "We're out practising our endurance levels. Got to be in shape for battles!"

"I see," Gladion said.

"What are you doing here?" Ash asked.

"Walking," Gladion answered. "We just had our grand trial with Kahuna Hala and the Totem Pokémon."

Ash's eyes widened in excitement.

"Really? That's awesome!" Ash cried. "How did you do? Did you pass? Which Pokémon did you use? Isn't Hala and his Pokémon amazing?"