CHAPTER 24

"School is going to start in a week" Ginny sighed.

Ginny, Hermione and I were seated on the breakfast table eating cereal while Ron and Harry sat on the other end, talking about something.

"I know, I can't believe summer's over already" I said.

"Well I am a bit excited about school" said Hermione.

"Of course you are, you're Hermione Granger" I said, rolling my eyes at her.

"Summer's been great"

"Yea.. for some people even better" Ginny smirked, sipping from a cup of tea.

"I have no idea what you're talking about" I said, averting my eyes from her.

"You know exactly what I'm talking about"

"Ginny it's been a month!"

"Yea I know I just can't believe that Fred out of all people has a girlfriend"

"Excuse me Ginevra? What is that supposed to mean?" said Fred as he walked into the kitchen with George.

"Yea she's right you know, I mean, I am the better looking one" said George.

"I think you're forgetting that we're identical twins" Fred sneered before bending over to my level and kissing me on the cheek.

"AWWWWW" squealed Hermione and Ginny before bursting into laughter.

"Shut up" 

"George you're no less, obsessing over the same girl for three years. When are you going to ask her out?" Ginny asked.

"How on earth do you know everything?" George looked at her in shock.

"I'm Ginny Weasley, I always know everything"

"You're sounding an awful lot like Hermione"

At that moment, we heard a tapping noise on the window. I looked to see an old grey owl flying outside.

Fred walked to the window and opened it, untying the note from the owl's leg.

"It's addressed to you" Fred said, handing the letter to me.

I looked at the envelope and immediately recognised my mother's handwriting.

"I-It's from my mother.."

I opened it, hoping that it had not come bearing bad news.

Dear Alice,

Today, 5 PM, At the fireplace. Don't be late.

"That's all it says" I said after reading the note out loud.

I wondered what it was that she wanted to tell me. I began to feel worried again, I really hoped she was doing alright.

Fred seemed to read my thoughts by the expression on my face. He placed his hand on my shoulder and squeezed it gently.

"Don't worry Al, I'm sure she's fine"

.

I waited by the fireplace, my eyes fixed on the ticking clock. It was 4:59 PM. Everyone knew that I needed some privacy with my mother and so they left me alone in the living room. I tried my best to not let any negative thoughts enter my mind. As Fred said, I'm sure she was alright.

"Alice?" I heard a familiar voice.

I looked down to see my mother's face emerge from the fire.

"Mum! How are you?" I asked.