Chapter 10

Lexi's POV

"I'm sorry for the sudden meeting." I did my best to take a few calming breaths. I could feel the pinkness in my cheeks, but there wasn't much I could to to stop that. I was far to flustered. I looked out to face the questioning eyes of the pack. "But I thought you would all like to know, Luna Sally had declined her Luna duties to take over the pack due to your Alpha's death in the fight against the hunters. I'm so sorry for her loss, and for your loss. He was an amazing man. Instead she handed over the pack to Chase, her son. But due to his condition right now he cannot take on those responsibilities. Once he is up and running again, he will step in." I took a deep breath. "So I have." The crowd started to mummer questions.

"But you're not our Luna! You're not mated to Chase?" One guy in the back yelled out. I turned to look at Tucker, what am I supposed to say? He's right. I'm not their Luna, I have no answer to explain it to him. This was just the best option in the current situation. It's not like I'm going to make any drastic changes, they just need a stand in.

"Yeah! You're not even Chases mate! Or from this pack! Who gave you permission!" The same guy called. He didn't sound angry, just questioning but it hurt my feelings just the same. I should've never said yes. I could feel my breathing pick up pace. I don't know what to say? I don't know how to explain myself.

Tucker stepped up in front of me. "Lexi is meant to be an Alpha female. Do not try to tell me you can't feel her power, even I do as the Beta. Chases mate has passed, and Lexi's mate has rejected her. There is no stopping them from fully mating if they want to." He paused looking around the crowd. "So with that said, You WILL respect her as your Luna. Is that understood?" He commanded with his Beta power.

Yes's were said, some bowed. "Okay. So Lexi is going to make a few more announcement. So please respect her. She is scared to at the current situation and does not deserve any negativity."

He motioned for me to step up next to him. "I'm sorry for the few of you that don't want me as Luna. As soon as Chase is up and running again I'll tell him to strip me of the title. I'm really sorry." I took a deep breath to hold in the prickles of tears gathered in my eyes. My mind completely blanked on anything else I was supposed to say. I just wanted out of here. "Meeting dismissed." Most quickly got up and left, but a few hung around.

John headed over to me. "Hey my favorite girl, how are you?"

"Not great, but I guess I'm doing fine." I shrugged not sure how to answer. I'm not doing fine at all, but I don't want to burden John with my mess.

"It'll all be alright Lex." He reaches out and hugged me. "He'll come back to us soon." He whispered in my ear. I just nodded my head, and pulled back from him.

"Thanks John."

"No problem Luna." He bowed making a show of it, "Please do not hesitate to call me if you need anything, okay?" I nodded again, smiling as he walked away waving.

I watch from a distance as Tucker spoke to a few pack members. They wrapped up their conversation and he headed my way, shooting me a sympathetic look. Tucker leaned over and pulled me into a hug. "They are just worried and sad. Some don't even know you yet." He soothed. But his words didn't really mean that much. I hadn't even known him a full week, he doesn't really know anything about me.

"You don't know me either. None of you do. What was I thinking? I can't run this pack. They don't want me to. I'm just going to screw it all up." I leaned into his embrace, feeling the brotherly comfort. I had always wanted this.

"Chase would want you too." That was all it took. I had to do it. I had to do it for Chase. I nodded my head, sucking up my tears. I pulled away from Tucker with a renewed sense of confidence.