Chapter 18

"That's what he said." I shrugged telling Tucker for the eighth time.

"There's no way in hell I'm letting that bastard take over as Alpha. I might as well kill everyone now, and save him the trouble!" He flopped down next to me on Chase and I's bed.

"TUCKER!" I scorned.

"Sorry." He muttered. "I just don't get how Alex couldn't see the evil in him! I mean giving him the alpha title? That asshole will not be an alpha while I'm still alive."

"Well then we need to decide soon. All of both packs are meeting tonight. We have to have answers." I shrugged, hiding the nerves shooting through me about having to deal with both packs.

"We will, don't worry!" Tucker saw straight through my shield.

"I think I'm gonna try to go see Chase's mom today... I know she doesn't want to see anyone, but I heard Ms. Daisy died. You know that has to hurt what's left of her heart." I felt for her. I really did. Even the short time I knew Ms. Daisy I loved the old woman. I'll miss going over to her house every two weeks for coffee while Chase mowed the lawn. And Chase's mother had been friends with her forever...

"Are you sure going to see Sally is the best idea?" Tucker questioned.

"I don't know... I just know she needs someone, and Chase sure isn't going to be that one." I shrugged standing up.

"Have you told Chase yet of your plans?" He asked as I dug through my clothing looking for something to wear.

"No. I'm sure he doesn't want to hear it. We haven't really talked about it, but I know he's frustrated." I sighed pulling a pair of jean shorts out from a pile. "He just wants his mom back. It kills him to see her so... so.... lifeless." I finally huffed out.

"Do you want me to come with you?" Tucker asked, looking out the window. Probably praying I say no.

"Not really, but would you drop me off? I still don't have a car, and I don't want to have to ask Chase to barrow it, because then he'll ask questions." I turned and walked over to the closet, pulling out a gray sweater.

"Sure." Tucker smiled.

I was just about to walk into the bathroom, to get dressed, when Chase came into the room. "Lexi?" He asked.

I walked over to him, "Yeah?"

"We need to talk about school. Some of the packs parents are asking which schools to enroll in, they don't want their kids getting behind." He talked cautiously. "Would it be okay if we finished at your old high School?"

"It's fine Chase." I shrugged. "Tell them Hill Elementary has the better teachers, and that Lexington Middle School has the best scores around." I smiled before turning and closing the bathroom door behind me.

"I think she's faking it being alright. Too much has happened recently for her to be okay." I heard Chase whisper to Tucker.

"And she's doing a damn good job." Tucker responded.

'Yes I am.' I thought, proud that I had maintained a smile through everything. Even though my stomach churned, not wanting to go back to the place where I was pegged for a loser and a nobody.

---------------------------------------------

"I'll be out in an hour okay?" I told Tucker, looking out at the guest house Sally was staying in.

"Okay... Just call me if you want me to come sooner." He looked at me with concern. I just nodded, pushing open the car door.

The grass crunched under my feet as I made my way over to the front door. Reaching my hand up, I knocked three times.

A woman that looked to be a little older than Sally opened the door. "Hello Luna." She bowed. I waved my hand.

"None of that. Just call me Lexi." I smiled at her.

"What do you need dear? Here to see Mrs. Sally?" She inquired.

"Yes ma'am." I smiled.

"Come with me." She beckoned. I followed her into the small guest home. "I'm Anna by the way. John's mother." She explained.

"Really! How has he been? I haven't gotten to talk to him really since we all came out here." I smiled at her, momentarily forgetting my nerves over seeing Mrs. Sally.

"He's been great! He found his mate actually. They've been like two peas in a pod. She's a lovely girl! Her name is Faith." She smiled proudly.

"Aww! I'll have to go give them a visit. Is Faith new to the pack?" I asked.

"Yes, she just recently moved to this area!" She grinned reaching a large white door. "This is it!" She gestured towards the door. "I'll be in the kitchen if you need anything." She gave a small wave before turning and walking back down the hallway.

I took in a deep breath as I pushed open the door. White plain walls and dark wood floors covered the room. A small twin bed with blue and yellow bedding rests in the far right corner. I looked to the left to see Sally sitting in a white wicker chair with blue pillows stuffed in behind her small frame. Her hair had grayed drastically, I could see it wrapped up in a small bun.

"Sally?" I called out to her from the middle of the room. Her head turned to the side slightly, but that was the only recognition that she heard me. "I heard about Ms. Daisy passing away.... I figured I'd come and try to cheer you up... That maybe you just needed some company...?" I started second guessing this whole idea. I mean she probably doesn't even want to see me. She doesn't want to see anyone, let alone-

"Thank you." Her small whisper broke me out of thought.

I look up to see her looking at me. There's no life in her eyes. No joy. "Of course." I smiled genuinely at her. "I'm always here when you need someone."

"Tell Chase that I love him..." She whispered.

"Of course."

"Keep him safe. Don't leave him Lexi. Please, please, don't leave him." She cried, a few tears trickling down her face.

"Never." I ran over to her side and grabbed her hand.

"Thank you." She whispered before closing her eyes. I suddenly couldn't hear her heartbeat anymore. I couldn't feel her blood run through her veins.

"SALLY! SALLY! WAKE UP!" I cried, shaking her shoulders. "I will. I will!" I whispered, as Mrs. Anna came bustling into the room.

It was almost as though she had been waiting for my confirmation that I would take care of her son. Then she let go.