Chapter 59: Powerful Women

Beginne am Anfang

"Do you know you say the same as the daebens decades ago. They, too, wished to reshape the world in their own image, but then only destruction followed."

Kashi let out a wry chuckle. "It is only so as I myself am a daeben. However, unlike my brethren, I have slept in a human cell for ten years, conferred with different races, and formed alliances with enemies. What they sought was domination; hence they forced all to bend to them and like broomsticks, broke all they bent. What I seek is unification, like a broom with all its sticks bound together by bonds of trust. To stand side by side as opposed to above each other. This is what I seek."

Suvron's gaze locked onto the man's searching his heart as she questioned, "And if you must harm innocents to achieve this dream of yours?"

Kashi raised his eyes to meet hers, cold determination in his stony gaze. "Then, so be it." Hektor backed away, taken aback by the daeben's words. He could tell from Kashi's tone that he meant every word. Kira watched her partner, many thoughts circulating behind her steely gaze.

Kashi continued. "I am not arrogant enough to say no innocents will be harmed either directly or indirectly by my actions, but I can promise that such a thing will never be done intentionally."

Suvron's lips fell into a sad smile. "You speak as my father once did. As with my father, I do not agree with your methods. Unfortunately, just as it was with my father, I am hard-pressed to deny your results. Rosendun, once known as the backwater state, only good for a few crops is flourishing and growing at an alarming rate. You even managed to not only slay but tame a beast the gods had abandoned. For these actions, I am not ashamed to say I will concede to your judgment in this matter."

"I am humbled by your benevolence," Kashi replied.

"Like I stated previously, I am no warrior and I detest bloodshed, so I cannot help you in matters of war, but instead, I will assist you in beautifying where you have wrought destruction."

Kashi raised a brow in question. "I will be most honored to receive aid."

Suvron knelt in front of the daeben, then cupped his head, bent over, and kissed his forehead. The wolf insignia on the daeben's forehead lit up and shone brightly. Tendrils of light sprung from the tattoo, like branches from a never-ending vine tree. They spread along his body, winding down his arms and legs. They pulsed at his fingertips then died out, leaving a faint outline on his skin.

Kashiwinced. His skin burned where the newly formed tattoo lay.

 His skin burned where the newly formed tattoo lay