• | Don't You Dare! | •

Before the day had started for many, Zoya was up early morning and she walked towards the window and opened it while fresh air tickled her face. She took in a deep sigh and remembered her parents as she realized the long day ahead for her. Zoya was supposedly a College student in a new city today onward.

"Mujhe ashirwaad djiye.."

After a quick shower and slipping into a pair of faded jeans, a Blue blouse and her hair in a ponytail, Zoya packed her handbag with the necessary belongings. Taking a good look around the room she walked outside quickly. Zoya had approximately twenty-five minutes till the taxi arrives to pick her from the main road and she understood that if she quickens she could be able to be there on time. Zoya ran down the staircase and wandered around the kitchen.

"Maria aunty? Anjana aunty kaha hai?"

She inquired the maid who was making sandwiches and the lady lifted her head in question staring Zoya up and down.

"Arrey ma'am, aap ready hogayi? Anjana ma'am aati hi hogi. Par ma'am, aapne sirf coffee piya tha, naashta karke jaiye na! Abhi banakar dethi hoon.."

Maria's concerned voice boomed across the pantry as she almost moved aside to arrange breakfast for Zoya but she walked towards Maria with a beaming smile and placed a hand on her shoulder.

"Maria aunty, thank you for the Coffee but mujhe late hojayega. Aap ek kaam kariye, aapne kaha tha na Rajma Chawal prepare kiya hai? Mujhe lunch keliye woh pack karke dijiye, main College mein kaungi, alright?"

"Ji, abhi deti hoon ma'am!"

Agreeing with Zoya's request, hurriedly Maria started packing lunch for her in a Stainless steel box. As Zoya kept waiting, she heard Anjana's heels clinking on the living room. As soon as they noticed each other Anjana's mouth opened in astonishment and she strolled ahead.

"Zoya, tum jaldi jaarahi ho? It's not even seven in the morning! Aaj toh tumhara pehela din bhi hai, is it necessary to go this early beta?"

Anjana hugged Zoya to which she responded with a small smile.

"Actually aunty mujhe Administration office jaana hai orientation se pehele kuch paper work keliye. Warna main breakfast bhi karleti yaha!"

Anjana was feeling surprised as she thought that Zoya wouldn't go out on her first day at a new college hungry. She needed to have something.

"Par beta, main tumhe kuch kaaye baghair nahi jaane desakthi! Mujhe achcha nahi lagega. Ah.. agar tumhe late hojayega toh ek minute.."

Suddenly Anjana walked past Zoya inside the pantry and taking a spoon and a cup from a top shelf, she arranged some dish. As she turned around Zoya was standing behind her with an amusing stare wondering what was Anjana having in her mind. Anjana felt as if she was taking care of her own daughter as she slowly caressed Zoya's hair.

"Zoya, mujhe patha hai shaayad kisi rishtey ke matlab se mujhe ye adhikar nahi hai lekin koi naye kaam keliye jaane se pehele dahi shakkar khaakar jaana shubh hota hai. Thoda sa khalo meri haathon se, hm..?"

Zoya stood numb as she tried to process Anjana's words and what she was having in her hands. She felt as if she belonged in this house for a second and slowly shaking her head in agreement, Zoya let Anjana feed her a spoonful. Afterwards, she bent down and touching Anjana's feet, she closed her eyes. Once they came face to face Anjana hugged Zoya with adoration and Zoya felt her eyes turning teary as she remembered her mother and how she would've done the same for her today, if she was alive.

Anjana broke the hug and Maria handed the tiffin box to Zoya as well.

"Zoya, have you planned to have breakfast from the canteen? Jaate waqt bhook nahi lagogi?"