Chapter 53.

*Unedited*

Danny
"Do you not know your left from right? I said stand to the left of the plant." Afia scolds, pointing to the lower platform of the altar.

"Sorry." I mutter, not meaning it at all. My mind was any and everywhere but here.

Since the sham of a wedding was approaching soon, we were forced to participate in a dress rehearsal. Really, I was forced into it because I tried to pretend that I was running a fever, but my parents couldn't care less. Afia, on the other hand, was excited to practice for her 'perfect day'. As always, the girl is either pretending to be or is actually oblivious of the fact that I cannot stand being near her.

Today, it is just the two of us along with the wedding coordinator. But we are going to have many more rehearsals with our parents, the guards, and a few other people with important roles.

Not looking forward to any of it.

I can barely pay attention today, especially after my little trip to the prison. I shouldn't have visited her. I should've stayed home and continued to be unbothered.

I shake my head - I need to stop thinking about her.

"You keep saying sorry. Are you even paying attention?" she questions, crossing her arms as she narrows her eyes at me.

Nope.

"Mhm." I nod, shifting over to the area she pointed me over to.

I hear a voice clear their throat and we look up to see the wedding coordinator, holding her clipboard to her chest as she awkwardly smiles at us.

Our wedding coordinator - Ava Sam - is one of the best in the country. She is known for organizing the most elite and ostentatious weddings seen in this land. Ava has been famous since before I was even born, and by now, she has to be loaded with money. Of course, my parents would hire her for this.

"Excuse me, I am in charge of telling everyone where to stand. Danny was actually standing in the correct place. We don't want him to be too far from the center of the altar." Ava states.

A smug smile appears on my face as I return to where I was initially standing. I see Afia sharply turn to face the wedding coordinator with an annoyed look on her face.

"It's my wedding. I think I get to decide where he should stand."

"And it's my project. So, actually, I'll be telling him where to stand. As well as you." she retorts, a sudden stern look on her face.

I have to bite my tongue to stop myself from laughing at the way Afia's mouth opened in shock. It's as if nobody has ever argued with her.

"You--" Afia starts but the wedding coordinator points to the front doors of the cathedral.

"Please go stand over there to prepare for the walk down the aisle."

Something about the way she commanded the action made it clear that her word was final. Even Afia looked like she was taken aback. With one glare at the coordinator, Afia walks to the spot assigned to her.

Just like my parents had planned, the wedding is happening at the Royal Cathedral. I will admit that the cathedral is gorgeous. From its high ceilings to its silver walls to its white marble floors to its golden pews and its black glass statues, it is truly a perfect place to be wedded.

It's a shame that it is being wasted on this joke of a ceremony.

"Great. Danny, at first you will be facing the priest and the altar. But once you hear the piano start playing the song, you will face the audience. And don't worry, once we start to rehearse with the instrumentalists, you will know which song I am referring to."